Modeling mathematically a rotary flexible beam

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to mathematically model the rotation of a rotary flexible beam, specifically one with a motor axis and counter weight. They have tested the modes of vibration and found that it behaves like a free-free beam up to the third mode, but not for higher modes. They are seeking guidance on how to further understand and model the beam, and have considered using a modal analysis tool but have not done so yet. They also mention their ultimate goal of reducing free vibrations at the tip after rotation and have developed an equation of motion. However, they are unsure of what boundary condition to use and are considering using a close approximation shown in an attached figure.
Ben9622111222
Hi,

I am trying to mathematically model the rotation of a rotary flexible beam. There are numerous papers which study this topic but all of them are considering the beam as a fixed-free one. My case is different.
upload_2015-10-9_7-44-44.png

This is the beam I am trying to model. The motor axis is at the square portion towarsd the right end of the beam. The part marked in gold is the counter weight so that motor can be given low current when system is at rest.

I have tested the modes of vibration and found that it shows the nature of a free-free beam upto third mode, but for higher modes it was not clear. Only if I know how the beam behaves, can I go futher with the modeling.
upload_2015-10-9_7-50-16.png

Also one node was always at the motor axis position.
Can anyone suggest me how I should go forward to understand the beam model and mathematically model it.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mech_Engineer said:
Have you considered doing a modal analysis using a Finite Element Analysis tool like ANSYS or COMSOL?
I have not done a modal analysis. Because the test setup already showed me the nature of vibration upto 12 modes and also the mode frequencies. My ultimate aim is to reduve the free vibration at the tip when it is stopped after a rotation. For this I have developed an equation of motionj. The problem is the terms generalized mass and mode participation factor depend on what boundary condition is selected. And this is dependant on the beam fixation.

So I am confused which boundary condition suits.

The attached figure shows a close approximation. Will this do?

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 387

Related to Modeling mathematically a rotary flexible beam

1. What is a rotary flexible beam and why is it important to model mathematically?

A rotary flexible beam is a structural element that is capable of rotating about an axis and bending under applied loads. It is important to model mathematically because it allows us to understand the behavior and performance of the beam under different conditions, such as varying loads and structural configurations.

2. How is a rotary flexible beam typically modeled mathematically?

A rotary flexible beam is typically modeled using mathematical equations that describe its geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions. These equations can then be solved using numerical methods or computer simulations to predict the behavior of the beam.

3. What are the main factors that influence the mathematical modeling of a rotary flexible beam?

The main factors that influence the mathematical modeling of a rotary flexible beam include the material properties of the beam, the geometry and dimensions of the beam, the applied loads and boundary conditions, and any external factors such as temperature or vibrations.

4. What are some common applications of mathematically modeling rotary flexible beams?

Mathematically modeling rotary flexible beams has numerous applications in various fields including engineering, aerospace, and robotics. It is commonly used to design and optimize structures such as helicopter rotor blades, wind turbines, and robot arms.

5. What are some challenges associated with mathematically modeling rotary flexible beams?

Some challenges associated with mathematically modeling rotary flexible beams include accurately capturing the complex behavior of the beam under different loading conditions, accounting for material nonlinearities, and ensuring the model is computationally efficient. Additionally, experimental validation of the model is important to ensure its accuracy and reliability.