Modeling Growth and Decay Problem

In summary: It might be near enough, but it's not exactly right. The rate is constantly changing. That 1 inch in an hour is the average rate over the first hour. It will be the rate at some L value between 35 and 36, but it won't be the rate at L=35.
Burjam

Homework Statement

Suppose water leaks out of a barrel at a rate proportional to the square root of the depth of the water. If the level starts at 36 in. and drops to 35 in. after 1 hour, how long will it take for all the water to leak out of the barrel?

I have to choose and implement a differential equation solution method to determine a solution.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

dL/dt = -√(L), where L is the water level and t is time in hours
∫dL/-√(L) = ∫1dt
-2√(L) = t + c
L = ((t+c)/2)^2
36 = (-c/2)^2
c = 12

So now that I've solved for the constant using the initial condition, I'm not sure what to do. I think I might've even set up this problem wrong to begin with because when I substitute 1 in for t, I don't get 35, which is what L should equal at that t.

Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:
dL/dt = -√(L), where L is the water level and t is time in hours
It says proportional to, not equal to.

haruspex said:
It says proportional to, not equal to.

I'm not sure how to translate that to an equation. Proportional is a tricky word in this problem.

Burjam said:
I'm not sure how to translate that to an equation. Proportional is a tricky word in this problem.
If, for example, x is proportional to y, then the ratio of these quantities is a constant. IOW, x/y = k.

Equivalently, x = ky, where k is the constant of proportionality.

Mark44 said:
If, for example, x is proportional to y, then the ratio of these quantities is a constant. IOW, x/y = k.

Equivalently, x = ky, where k is the constant of proportionality.
To expand on that, this gives you another constant that needs to be adjusted to fit the data. This should resolve your problem of getting the wrong answer when you set t = 1.

Ok so (dp/dt)/20-p = k

then dp/dt = k(20-p)

The problem is there are no conditions I can use in this problem that allow me to solve for k. I have conditions for p, but none for dp/dt.

Burjam said:
Ok so (dp/dt)/20-p = k
p? 20?

Your ODE was dL/dt = -√(L). Inserting the missing constant of proportionality we have dL/dt = -k√(L). Solve that.

haruspex said:
p? 20?

Your ODE was dL/dt = -√(L). Inserting the missing constant of proportionality we have dL/dt = -k√(L). Solve that.

I was thinking of the other problem I posted. I think this is the same problem with that one too.

Ok so solving for k.

The water level dropped 1 inch in an hour at L=35 so

1 = -k√35
k=-1/√35

Does that look right?

Burjam said:
Ok so solving for k.

The water level dropped 1 inch in an hour at L=35 so

1 = -k√35
k=-1/√35

Does that look right?
It might be near enough, but it's not exactly right. The rate is constantly changing. That 1 inch in an hour is the average rate over the first hour. It will be the rate at some L value between 35 and 36, but it won't be the rate at L=35.
Correct is to solve the integral first then plug in the numbers.

Related to Modeling Growth and Decay Problem

1. How do you determine the initial amount and rate of growth or decay in a model?

The initial amount and rate of growth or decay can be determined by using given data points or by using regression analysis to fit a curve to the data.

2. How do you differentiate between linear and exponential growth or decay in a model?

Linear growth or decay is characterized by a constant rate of change, while exponential growth or decay is characterized by a constant growth or decay factor.

3. What are some common real-life examples of growth and decay models?

Some common examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

4. Can modeling growth and decay be used to predict future trends?

Yes, if the model is accurate and the initial conditions are known, it can be used to predict future trends. However, external factors may also impact the growth or decay, so the predictions should be interpreted with caution.

5. How can you validate the accuracy of a growth or decay model?

The accuracy of a growth or decay model can be validated by comparing its predictions to real-world data, and by adjusting the model if necessary to better fit the data.