Modeling coaxial cable impedance

In summary, the conversation is about modeling the electrical equivalent of a coaxial cable. The data available includes conductor resistance, insulator resistance, partial discharge, insulation thickness, and overall diameter. The person is planning to use an equivalent circuit with a series connection of inductance and resistance parallel to a capacitor, but is surprised to see a different circuit. They are asking for clarification on which circuit is appropriate to use with the given data, and also in what cases a cascaded equivalent should be used. They want to understand when to use a lumped model and when to use a distributed model.
student52
Hi,

I am trying to model electrical equivalent of a coaxial cable. The data I have is
1. Conductor resistance
2. Insulator resistance
3. Partial discharge
4. Insulation Thickness
5. Overall diameter

Actually I planned to use an equivalent circuit that has series connection of inductance and resistance parallel to a capacitor (Check the diagram shown below).Infact I am surprised to see quite different circuit here. With the data I have what circuit should I use? Kindly explain which of these circuits is apt.

--------inductance-------resistance-----
|
|
|
c
a
p
|
|
--------------------------------------|

P.S. I don't have data about inductance

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
student52 said:
Hi,

I am trying to model electrical equivalent of a coaxial cable. The data I have is
1. Conductor resistance
2. Insulator resistance
3. Partial discharge
4. Insulation Thickness
5. Overall diameter

Actually I planned to use an equivalent circuit that has series connection of inductance and resistance parallel to a capacitor (Check the diagram shown below).Infact I am surprised to see quite different circuit here. With the data I have what circuit should I use? Kindly explain which of these circuits is apt.

--------inductance-------resistance-----
|
|
|
c
a
p
|
|
--------------------------------------|

P.S. I don't have data about inductance

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

Welcome to the PF.

Transmission lines are generally modeled using the "Telegrapher's Equations" as described in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line

Are you wanting to model your coax differently?

Hi,

I wanted to know in what cases a cascaded equivalent should be used? I want to make sure in what cases should I use a lumped model and in which cases distributed model.

Related to Modeling coaxial cable impedance

1. What is coaxial cable impedance?

Coaxial cable impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a coaxial cable. It is a combination of the cable's capacitance, inductance, and resistance, and is typically measured in Ohms.

2. Why is modeling coaxial cable impedance important?

Modeling coaxial cable impedance is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of the cable in different electrical circuits. It also helps with designing and optimizing the performance of the cable for specific applications.

3. How is coaxial cable impedance calculated?

Coaxial cable impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = √(L/C), where Z is the impedance, L is the cable's inductance, and C is the cable's capacitance. This calculation may vary depending on the type and structure of the coaxial cable.

4. What factors affect the impedance of a coaxial cable?

The impedance of a coaxial cable can be affected by several factors, including the cable's dimensions, materials used, and frequency of the signal passing through it. Changes in these factors can alter the cable's capacitance, inductance, and resistance, thus affecting its overall impedance.

5. How can modeling coaxial cable impedance be useful in practical applications?

Modeling coaxial cable impedance can be useful in various practical applications, such as telecommunications, data transmission, and audio/video equipment. It helps in ensuring efficient signal transfer, reducing signal loss, and minimizing interference in these systems.