Modeling a reaction in SuperPro without stoichiometry

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling a biological reaction with SuperPro using only the conversion as known information. The possibility of using data with Michaelis-Menten kinetics to determine the stoichiometry of the reaction is suggested. However, it is also mentioned that without knowing the stoichiometry, it may be difficult to solve the problem accurately.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I'm working on modeling a biological reaction with SuperPro. Right now, all I know about the reaction is the conversion. I don't have data on the stoichiometry, and I don't even think the stoichiometry of the reaction is known. Any idea how I might be able to model this kind of reaction?

I have some data with michaelis-menten kinetics, which might be useful

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
With the limited info, I think I'd be inclined to write down a few possible balanced equations that are possible with the given information.

This would yield the stiochiometry of each possibility from which other details could be determined.

If the outcomes are similar for the different possibilities, it might make sense to proceed. If the outcomes are different, it seems you need to know the stoichiometry to solve the problem.

Related to Modeling a reaction in SuperPro without stoichiometry

1. How can you model a reaction in SuperPro without using stoichiometry?

SuperPro allows for the creation of reaction pathways without the use of stoichiometric coefficients. Instead, the user can input the specific amounts of each reactant and product, and the software will automatically balance the reaction.

2. Can SuperPro accurately predict the outcome of a reaction without stoichiometry?

While SuperPro is a powerful tool for reaction modeling, it is important to note that the accuracy of the predictions may be affected by the absence of stoichiometric coefficients. It is recommended to confirm the results using other methods.

3. How does SuperPro handle rate constants in reactions without stoichiometry?

In reactions without stoichiometry, SuperPro uses a combination of kinetic data and thermodynamic data to calculate the rate constants. The user can also input their own rate constants if they are known.

4. Are there any limitations to modeling reactions without stoichiometry in SuperPro?

One limitation is that SuperPro cannot accurately model reactions with multiple products or reactants. Additionally, reactions with complex kinetics may also be challenging to model without stoichiometric coefficients.

5. Can the results from modeling a reaction without stoichiometry in SuperPro be exported for further analysis?

Yes, SuperPro allows for the export of the reaction pathway and results in various file formats, such as Excel or CSV, for further analysis or integration with other software.