Model a Breadboard in Simulator: Capacitance & Inductance

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to model a breadboard in a simulator, specifically regarding capacitance and inductance. They mention using a DIP part on the breadboard and ask how much capacitance should be added between the pins in the model, with a suggestion of 2pf for adjacent pins. The speaker also asks about the inductance, providing a ballpark figure of 10nH/inch for wire and mentioning the use of the standard inductance equation for a single loop of wire. They also note that the circuit in the image they found is messy and apologize for not finding a cleaner one.
likephysics
How do I model a breadboard in simulator. The capacitance, inductance.
For example, if I place a DIP part on breadboard, how much capacitance should I add between the pins in the model?
I think the typical capacitance is 2pf for adjacent pins. What about pins that are 3 pins apart?

Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
How do I model a breadboard in simulator. The capacitance, inductance.
For example, if I place a DIP part on breadboard, how much capacitance should I add between the pins in the model?
I think the typical capacitance is 2pf for adjacent pins. What about pins that are 3 pins apart?

You mean like the white plug-boards, right? What frequencies are you concerned with? Probably you only need to add in the capacitance, which I'm guessing is about 5pF row-to-row, depending on how long your interconnected rows are. You could measure it with an LCR meter if you have one. If not, I can go measure one in the lab for you.

As for inductance, you can ballpark use 10nH/inch for wire, but that depends on the geometry of the "loop" structure, of course. If you have loops connecting stuff (hard to avoid with a breadboard), you can use the standard inductance equation for a single loop of wire, and sort of ratio it based on the area enclosed (if the loop is not round).

238576-closeup-of-an-electronic-breadboard--wires-and-components-in-place.jpg

EDIT -- Yikes, I just noticed how messy the circuit is on the breadboard picture that I retrieved via Google Images. I should have looked for a cleaner circuit!

Related to Model a Breadboard in Simulator: Capacitance & Inductance

1. What is a breadboard and why is it used in circuit design?

A breadboard is a tool used in circuit design to create and test electronic circuits without the need for soldering. It is composed of a grid of holes where electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, can be inserted and connected using jumper wires. Breadboards are useful for quickly prototyping and testing circuits before permanently soldering them onto a circuit board.

2. How do you model capacitance on a breadboard in a simulator?

To model capacitance on a breadboard in a simulator, you will need to first select the appropriate capacitor component and place it on the breadboard. Then, using the simulator's tools, you can connect the capacitor to other components on the breadboard and adjust its properties, such as capacitance value and voltage rating, to accurately model its behavior in the circuit.

3. Can inductance be simulated on a breadboard?

Yes, inductance can be simulated on a breadboard using a variety of methods. One way is to use an inductor component specifically designed for breadboard use. Another way is to create an inductor using a coil of wire and connecting it to the breadboard with jumper wires. Some simulators also have built-in tools for creating and modeling inductance in a circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to modeling capacitance and inductance on a breadboard in a simulator?

While breadboard simulators can accurately model capacitance and inductance, they may have limitations in terms of the complexity and precision of the circuits they can simulate. Additionally, the use of real-world components on a breadboard may introduce some errors or discrepancies in the simulation. It is important to carefully validate and verify the results of any simulations conducted on a breadboard.

5. How can modeling capacitance and inductance on a breadboard benefit circuit design?

Modeling capacitance and inductance on a breadboard can benefit circuit design in several ways. It allows for quick and easy prototyping and testing of circuits, helping engineers to identify and resolve any issues before moving on to the more permanent and expensive stages of circuit development. Additionally, breadboard simulations can provide valuable insights into the behavior of capacitance and inductance in a circuit, helping to optimize and improve designs for better performance.