Mod. Arithmetic Proof: I don't see flaws in my logic, but it isn't working out.

In summary, the equation a\mod a must divide ax-2b for ax not equal to zero in order for the equation to be a bijection.
jdinatale
1. Homework Statement .
1. Let [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] be constant integers with [itex]a \not = 0[/itex], and let the mapping [itex]f : Z \rightarrow Z[/itex] be defined by [itex]F(x) = ax + b[/itex]. Determine all values of [itex]a[/itex] such that f is a bijection. Prove that the aforementioned values are the only possible values resulting in a bijection.

The logic in my proof makes sense, but my conclusion that [tex] ax \cong 0 \mod a[/tex] doesn't make sense because that statement will always be true.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

abstracto.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with always being true? The only way f(x)= ax+ b will not be bijective is if there exist [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] such that [itex]x_1\ne x_2[/itex] but [itex]ax_1+ b= ax_2+ b[/itex]. What does that tell you about a?

HallsofIvy said:
What's wrong with always being true? The only way f(x)= ax+ b will not be bijective is if there exist [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] such that [itex]x_1\ne x_2[/itex] but [itex]ax_1+ b= ax_2+ b[/itex]. What does that tell you about a?

I understand that it will always be 1-1.
But my whole issue is that you could construct a [itex]f(x) = ax + b[/itex] that is not onto. For example, consider [itex]f(x) = 4x + 3[/itex]. There is no [itex]x \in \mathbf{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) = 5[/itex].

That's my whole problem.

You seem to have lost the [itex]b\mod a[/itex] term in your argument. Considering it should lead you to the correct condition.

fzero said:
You seem to have lost the [itex]b\mod a[/itex] term in your argument. Considering it should lead you to the correct condition.

Thanks for point that out, I did mess up there. It should be [itex]ax - b \cong b \mod a[/itex]. I don't quite see how this helps because that implies that [itex]a[/itex] must divide [itex]ax - 2b[/itex]. I don't see how that tells me anything about what a must be. I mean it tells us that [itex]a must divide [itex]2b[/itex] for this to be true.

But anyways, at the end of the day, we know [itex]a[/itex] must divide [tex]t - b[/itex]. The only number guaranteed to divided every integer [itex]k = t - b[/itex] for all integers [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] is 1. The problem is finding a mathematical argument for that. Given any other a, I could always find a number such that the function isn't a bijection.

I apologize for double posting, but it will no longer let me edit my last post. I believe I have found a solution, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could look through it and try to find errors.

logico1.jpg

logico2.jpg

Related to Mod. Arithmetic Proof: I don't see flaws in my logic, but it isn't working out.

1. Why is my mod arithmetic proof not working out?

There could be several reasons why your mod arithmetic proof is not working out. It could be due to errors in your calculations, incorrect application of mod properties, or an invalid assumption. It is important to carefully review your steps and identify where the error is occurring.

2. How can I check if my mod arithmetic proof is correct?

To check if your mod arithmetic proof is correct, you can try using a different example or plugging in numbers to see if the result holds true. You can also ask for feedback from other mathematicians or consult a textbook or online resource to compare your proof.

3. Are there any common mistakes in mod arithmetic proofs?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can occur in mod arithmetic proofs. These include errors in applying mod properties, incorrect use of symbols, and failing to consider all cases. It is important to carefully double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can I use mod arithmetic in real-life applications?

Yes, mod arithmetic has several real-life applications, such as in cryptography, computer science, and engineering. It is a useful tool for solving problems involving remainders and cyclical patterns.

5. What are some tips for mastering mod arithmetic?

Some tips for mastering mod arithmetic include practicing with different examples, familiarizing yourself with mod properties, and seeking help from a teacher or mentor. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic arithmetic and algebra concepts.