Mixing units with functions or derivatives?

In summary, when writing derivatives and functions in math, it is important to correctly use units. In the example given, the function m(g)=17g describes the distance a car can go with g gallons of gasoline, and the derivative dm/dg = 17 miles/gallon. It is also correct to write the equation as m(g)=17(miles/gallon)*g. When defining variables, it is important to include the units, and in this case, the unit for m is miles and the unit for g is gallons. The constant k in the equation m=kg must also have the unit of miles per gallon in order for the equation to make sense.
christian0710
Hi,
How do you correctly use units when writing derivatives and functions in math?

Example

A car goes 17miles per gallon, so a function m with the equation m(g)=17g describes the distance it can go with g gallons.

And the derivative dm/dg = 17 miles/gallon. Question: could you write the equation as m(g)=17(miles/gallon)*g or is that incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
could you write the equation as m(g)=17(miles/gallon)*g ?
Yes. That would be correct.

christian0710 said:
Hi,
How do you correctly use units when writing derivatives and functions in math?

Example

A car goes 17miles per gallon, so a function m with the equation m(g)=17g describes the distance it can go with g gallons.

And the derivative dm/dg = 17 miles/gallon.Question: could you write the equation as m(g)=17(miles/gallon)*g or is that incorrect?
Your question is confusing. It looks like you are asking is m(g)=17g correct, if m(g)=17g, except you are writing a label for 17?

When you are defining a variable, you can give it its unit right away or not.
So if you say ##m## is the distance the car can drive, then the variable ##m## has already contained the unit, maybe miles. So you should write:$$m=17mile/gallon\cdot g.$$You can see here my ##g## has also contained its unit: gallon, but 17 not, so then I write 17mile/gallon in the equation.
By the way, we seldom use ##m## to represent the distance because it is more often used to say mass, but it doesn't matter while it just depends on one's habits.

Likes christian0710
It should be evident that if m is a distance, measured in miles, and g is a quantity of gasoline, measured in gallons, then in order that "m (miles)= k g(gallons) make sense, k must be in "miles per gallon" so that (k miles/gallon)(g gallons)= kg miles.

Related to Mixing units with functions or derivatives?

1. Can units be mixed with functions in mathematical equations?

Yes, units and functions can be mixed in mathematical equations as long as the units are consistent and match on both sides of the equation. This means that the units of the input variables must match the units of the output variables.

2. How do I convert units when using derivatives?

To convert units when using derivatives, you can use the chain rule. This involves multiplying the derivative by the conversion factor between the two units. For example, if you are converting from meters to centimeters, you would multiply the derivative by 100 since there are 100 centimeters in 1 meter.

3. What is the purpose of mixing units with functions or derivatives?

Mixing units with functions or derivatives allows for more accurate and meaningful calculations in scientific and engineering applications. It helps to ensure that the units of the input variables match the units of the output variables, making the results more reliable.

4. Can I mix units in any type of mathematical operation?

No, units can only be mixed in certain mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Units cannot be mixed in other operations, such as logarithms or trigonometric functions.

5. How do I check if my units are consistent in a mathematical equation?

To check if your units are consistent in a mathematical equation, you can perform a dimensional analysis. This involves checking that the units of all terms in the equation match and cancel out appropriately, leaving you with the correct units in the final answer. If the units do not cancel out correctly, there may be an error in the equation or in the units used.