Mistake in proof regarding degeneracy property

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in finding their mistake in trying to prove a theorem about degeneracy. They provide the theorem and their proof, asking for someone to point out their mistake. They later realize that their mistake may be assuming that all eigenkets of A can be constructed using B, but they still ask for confirmation. The other person confirms that the flaw is indeed in that assumption.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

I was trying to prove a theorem regarding degeneracy, and I succeeded. However, I also proved the converse of the if-then part of the theorem (underlined below), which I know is wrong. I can't spot my mistake though.

The theorem and my proof are written below - could someone please point out my mistake?

Theorem:

Let [A, B]=0 and let A|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>=a|[itex]\alpha[/itex]> (capital letters are operators, lowercase letters are scalars). If the eigenkets of A are not degenerate, then |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is also an eigenket of B.

Proof:

Using the given relations,

AB|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>=BA|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>=Ba|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>=aB|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>,

so that |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> and B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]> are both eigenkets of A with eigenvalue a.

CASE 1 - the theorem: Assume B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>[itex]\neq[/itex]b|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>. Then B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is not writeable as a constant b times |[itex]\alpha[/itex]>, so that |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> and B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]> are degenerate eigenkets of A. Therefore...

...If |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is not an eigenket of B, then the eigenkets of A are degenerate,

or equivalently,

...If the eigenkets of A are not degenerate, then |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is also an eigenket of B.

CASE 2 - the converse: Assume B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>[itex]=[/itex]b|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>. Then the eigenkets of A, |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> and B|[itex]\alpha[/itex]>, are the same except for multiplication by a constant, and so do not qualify as degenerate eigenkets of A. Therefore...

...If |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is an eigenket of B, then the eigenkets of A are not degenerate,

or equivalently,

...If the eigenkets of A are degenerate, then |[itex]\alpha[/itex]> is not an eigenket of B.

The conclusion I reached in CASE 2 is just wrong. I can think of several examples where it is contradicted. For instance, letting A=J2 and B=Jz, eigenkets of A can be written as |j,mi>. These are degenerate eigenkets of A (one fore each -j\leqmi\leqj, and are simultaneous eigenkets of B.

What did I do wrong in CASE 2?

By the way, I am just looking for a description of my mistake, not a proof of something contradicting my conclusion (ie., I know the correct answer, I don't know what's wrong about my wrong answer). It's one of those obnoxious situations where I know proofs and examples that contradict my answer, but I'm not sure what the probably-obvious mistake I made in finding my answer is.

Actually, at the end of writing this post, it occurred to me that my mistake is probably that in CASE 2, I construct eigenkets of A using B and generalize my result to all eigenkets of A, which might not be constructible using B in this manner. I've already got the whole post written, though, so I may as well put it up. Could someone confirm, is that my mistake?

Thanks for any help you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, looks to me like the flaw is in case 2. There may be eigenkets of A which cannot be written as [itex]B|\alpha\rangle[/itex], so you can't prove that there is no degeneracy.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the response.

Related to Mistake in proof regarding degeneracy property

1. What is a degeneracy property?

A degeneracy property refers to a characteristic or quality that allows multiple solutions or states to satisfy a certain condition or equation.

2. How can a mistake in proof affect the degeneracy property?

A mistake in proof can lead to incorrect conclusions about the degeneracy property, such as mistakenly identifying a non-degenerate solution as degenerate or vice versa.

3. What types of mistakes can occur in a proof regarding degeneracy property?

Common mistakes include miscalculations, misinterpretation of data, and incorrect assumptions about the problem or equation being studied.

4. How can one avoid making a mistake in a proof regarding degeneracy property?

To avoid mistakes, it is important to carefully check all calculations and assumptions, and to seek feedback or peer review from other scientists or experts in the field.

5. Can a mistake in proof be corrected without affecting the degeneracy property?

In some cases, a mistake in proof can be corrected without affecting the degeneracy property, but in others, it may require a complete re-evaluation or revision of the proof to ensure accuracy.