Mistake in Physics textbook equation

In summary, the textbook says that the vertical component of velocity is (vi)(sinx) - gt, but if you use the equation for altitude instead, you get (vi)(sinx) - 1/2gt. This is probably a misprint, because it depends on how the angle is defined. If you use the equation for altitude, the correct component is a sine, but if you use the equation for velocity, the correct component is a cosine.
goochmawn314
There is a formula in my textbook and I have a strong feeling it's incorrect.

The formula the book says is

velocity in y direction (final) = (vi)(sinx) - gt

Whenever I use this, I get all the answers wrong. However, if I use

(vi)(sinx) - 1/2(gt) .. I get them right.

Is this a misprint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably not. It depends on how the angle is defined -- with respect to the horizontal, or with with respect to the vertical. These two definitions will affect whether the correct component is a sine or cosine of that particular angle.

You haven't given the context, but I can guess: This is the expression for the vertical component of velocity of an object hitting the ground for an object thrown with an initial velocity vi at an angle θ (measured with respect to horizontal).

If that's the case, your text is correct.

I think the textbook is right for the following reasons:
1. vf = vi + at and in your case, a = -g in y direction
2. s = (vi)*t + 1/2*g*(t^2), but the LHS of your equation is velocity and the power of t in your equation is 1.

Okay another equation in the book is

y = (vi)(sinx)(t) - 1/2(g)(t)^2 (unit here is meters)

If you divide out t on both sides you get meters over seconds and are left with (vi)(sinx) - 1/2gt

And meters/second is the unit for the original formula I posted. THe 1/2 is still there..

also: the angle is always with respect to the horizontal in these problems unless it's aviation (with bearings)

goochmawn314 said:
Okay another equation in the book is

y = (vi)(sinx)(t) - 1/2(g)(t)^2 (unit here is meters)

If you divide out t on both sides you get meters over seconds and are left with (vi)(sinx) - 1/2gt

And meters/second is the unit for the original formula I posted. THe 1/2 is still there..
The expression for altitude is correct. Your reasoning from that point on is incorrect. You need to take the derivative of the altitude to obtain the vertical component of velocity.

If you don't know what that means, you will eventually, but until then you'll have to take it for granted that the equations for altitude and the vertical component of velocity in your text are both correct.

Yeah the derivative is just gt isn't it.. Ok but in this course, there hasn't been any calculus yet. Thanks for your help

Related to Mistake in Physics textbook equation

1. What should I do if I find a mistake in a physics textbook equation?

If you find a mistake in a physics textbook equation, the first thing you should do is check to see if it has already been reported. If not, you can contact the publisher or the author of the textbook to inform them of the error.

2. How common are mistakes in physics textbook equations?

Mistakes in physics textbook equations are not very common, but they do happen occasionally. This is because physics is a complex and constantly evolving subject, so errors can slip through during the editing and review process.

3. Can a single mistake in a physics textbook equation affect my understanding of the entire concept?

It depends on the mistake and the concept. In some cases, a small mistake in an equation may not have a significant impact on the understanding of the concept. However, in other cases, a mistake can lead to incorrect solutions and a misunderstanding of the concept. It is always best to double-check equations and seek clarification if needed.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes when using physics textbook equations?

To avoid making mistakes when using physics textbook equations, it is important to carefully read and understand the equations and their applications. It is also helpful to double-check your work and seek clarification if you are unsure about any steps or calculations.

5. Can mistakes in physics textbook equations be corrected in future editions?

Yes, mistakes in physics textbook equations can be corrected in future editions. Publishers and authors are often open to feedback and corrections from readers, and they strive to ensure the accuracy of their textbooks. If you find a mistake, it is important to report it so it can be corrected in future editions.