Missing something pretty simple in counting energy levels?

In summary, the problem is asking to determine the number of energy levels with different values of total spin for a system of N particles with spin 1/2. The solution involves using the number of ways to get a z projection of spin, denoted by f, and the formula f(\sigma)=Binomial(N,\frac{1}{2}N + \sigma). Then, it is stated that for each energy level with a given S, there are 2S+1 states with σ=S...-S. The number of different energy levels with a given value of S is then given by n(S)=f(s)-f(s+1). There is no mention of the Hamiltonian or any assumptions about it in the given
genericusrnme

Homework Statement

Determine the no. of energy levels with different values of total spin for a system of N particles with spin 1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f be the no. ways to get a z projection of spin, then

[itex]f(\sigma )=Binomial(N,\frac{1}{2}N + \sigma)[/itex]
Where Binomial(a,b) is a chose b

That part makes perfect sense
To each energy level with a given S there corresponds 2S+1 states with σ=S...-S
Again, I know this
Hence it is easy to see that the no. different energy levels with a given value of S are

n(S)=f(s)-f(s+1)

And that is where it lost me, I don't understand why this is and I feel like I'm missing something simple..

Could anyone offer any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How exactly does the Hamiltonian depend on spin here? It seems you'd have to know that to be able to count the number of energy levels.

vela said:
How exactly does the Hamiltonian depend on spin here? It seems you'd have to know that to be able to count the number of energy levels.

There's no mention of the hamiltonian at all.

What I quoted in the problem statement was everything that I'm given in the problem and, unless I've missed something, there has been no mention of any assumptions being made about the hamiltionian up to this point.

It's at the end of a section that told of how to use youngs diagrams and symmetries of the coordinate and spin wavefunctions under permutations so I'm guessing I have to use that but I'm really not following.

Related to Missing something pretty simple in counting energy levels?

1. Why is counting energy levels important in science?

Counting energy levels is important in science because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. By knowing the number of energy levels an atom has, we can predict its reactivity and the types of bonds it can form.

2. How do you determine the number of energy levels in an atom?

The number of energy levels in an atom can be determined by looking at its electron configuration. Each electron shell represents an energy level, and the number of electrons in the outermost shell indicates the number of energy levels in the atom.

3. Can an atom have an infinite number of energy levels?

No, an atom cannot have an infinite number of energy levels. According to the Bohr model of the atom, there is a maximum number of energy levels an atom can have, which is determined by the number of protons in its nucleus.

4. How does the number of energy levels affect an atom's stability?

The number of energy levels can affect an atom's stability by determining its valence electrons and their ability to form bonds. Atoms with a full outermost energy level tend to be more stable and less reactive than those with partially filled outermost levels.

5. Can the number of energy levels change in an atom?

Yes, the number of energy levels in an atom can change through a process called electron excitation. This occurs when an atom absorbs energy, causing its electrons to move to higher energy levels. The number of energy levels will return to its original state when the electrons release the absorbed energy and return to their original levels.