Mirror phenomenon after a shower

In summary: I see. So it's like looking at a little sunspot on the mirror.Right, but smaller and localised on the mirror image.I see. So it's like looking at a little sunspot on the mirror.
hl_world
Whenever I look in the bathroom mirror after a shower. I immediately notice where the reflection of my eyes are, there is some sort of larger shadow around them. If I move closer, my eyes look like bright white rings (no, it doesn't resemble the normal reflection). Both phenomena seem to change size and shape depending on where in the mirror I look and they don't appear unless the mirror is fogged. It all looks like some optical illusion and I doubt it's my imagination because at first glance at the fogged mirror meters away without thinking about it, the phenomena immediately makes itself noticible always accurately indicating where in the mirror my eyes are.

Try it yourself. What do you think is going on?

Science news on Phys.org
Sounds like high blood pessure to me have it checked

It's possible I have high blood pressure but why would it cause these symptoms?

To give you a better idea of what I see from a distance, the black I see is like the non existent grey dots in this optical illusion:
Optical-Illusion-Black-Squares-and-Gray-Dots.jpg

Next time you leave the bath/shower, look at your reflection in the fogged mirror. It would interest me to know if this is common.

I don't understand what you post #3 is trying to convey, so I'm going to ignore it.

It seems to me that, when you are looking at your own eyes, that is the only circumstance under which your line of sight is exactly normal to the mirror's surface.

My first guess would be that the dark and light rings you are seeing are a cumulative effect of images in the myriad drops of condensation on the mirror.

If the rings are truly concentric around the image of your eyes, that means that every light ray in any given ring has the same angle and thus would be subject to the same refraction.

So I'd speculate that it's basically a sun dog, writ small.

Likes davenn
I'll chew that one over.

The optical illusion in the 3rd post gives the impression of grey dots where the white lines intersect. Their (grey dots) appearance & behavior of changing visibility depending on where you look resembles what I see around the fogged mirror image of my eyes even from across the room.

hl_world said:
The optical illusion in the 3rd post gives the impression of grey dots where the white lines intersect. Their (grey dots) appearance & behavior of changing visibility depending on where you look
Got all that...

hl_world said:
resembles what I see around the fogged mirror image of my eyes even from across the room.

Ah. So a sort of elusive peripheral vision thingy.

DaveC426913 said:
Ah. So a sort of elusive peripheral vision thingy.

Right, but smaller and localised on the mirror image.

Related to Mirror phenomenon after a shower

What causes the mirror phenomenon after a shower?

The mirror phenomenon after a shower is caused by a process known as condensation. When hot steam from the shower comes into contact with the cool surface of the mirror, it turns into water droplets which form on the surface, creating the foggy or misty appearance.

Why does the mirror clear up after a few minutes?

The mirror clears up after a few minutes because the water droplets on the surface eventually evaporate due to the difference in temperature between the steam and the mirror. As the mirror surface becomes warmer, the water droplets turn back into water vapor and disappear.

Does the type of mirror or shower affect the mirror phenomenon?

Yes, the type of mirror and shower can affect the mirror phenomenon. A mirror with a protective coating or a heated mirror may not experience as much condensation as a regular mirror. Similarly, a shower with a good ventilation system may produce less steam, resulting in less condensation on the mirror.

Can the mirror phenomenon damage the mirror?

No, the mirror phenomenon does not damage the mirror. The water droplets that form on the surface are just temporary and do not cause any harm to the mirror. However, if the condensation occurs frequently and is not wiped off, it may lead to the growth of mold or mildew on the mirror, which can cause damage over time.

How can I prevent the mirror phenomenon after a shower?

To prevent the mirror phenomenon after a shower, you can try using a squeegee to wipe off the excess water droplets from the mirror. You can also open a window or turn on a fan to help reduce the steam in the bathroom. Additionally, using a heated mirror or applying an anti-fog spray can also help prevent condensation on the mirror's surface.