Minoring in Physics: Choosing Between Chemistry & Geology

In summary, minors are not typically in high demand and simply serve as recognition of advanced coursework in a specific field. They can be helpful in job searches, but ultimately the choice of minor should be based on individual interests and career goals. Chemistry or geology may be good options to pair with a physics degree, depending on the desired career path. However, choosing a minor may limit the opportunity to explore other fields.
Mia_S
I'm currently doing a bachelors degree in applied physics, which minor goes along with physics? Chemistry or Geology? Which is in demand? (Our minors are 18 credit hours)

Physics news on Phys.org
Minors themselves are rarely "in demand." Really all a minor is, is a formal recognition that you have taken more than an introductory course in a particular field. They can help you in job searches sometimes in that they provide evidence and formal training in a field that might be applicable to the postions, where a formal degree in that area is not necessary for a position.

As to what pairs up well with physics, that's up to you. If you were interested in geophysics and your school doesn't haven a geophysics-specific option, a minor in geology might help you get into that field. A minor in chemistry might be beneficial if you were interested in material science.

The down side of committing to a minor is that it tends to restrict your freedom to sample other fields.

Related to Minoring in Physics: Choosing Between Chemistry & Geology

1. Should I minor in physics if I am majoring in chemistry or geology?

It can be beneficial to minor in physics if you are majoring in chemistry or geology, as these fields are closely related and require a strong understanding of physics principles. However, it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals.

2. What are the differences between a minor in physics for chemistry and geology majors?

The differences between a minor in physics for chemistry and geology majors can vary depending on the specific curriculum of the university. Generally, chemistry majors may focus more on the application of physics principles in chemical systems, while geology majors may focus more on the application of physics in the study of Earth's processes and structures.

3. Will minoring in physics be too challenging if I am already majoring in chemistry or geology?

Minoring in physics can be challenging, but it is possible to successfully balance it with a major in chemistry or geology. It is important to carefully consider your course load and ensure that you have enough time to devote to both your major and minor courses.

4. Can minoring in physics help me in my future career as a chemist or geologist?

Yes, minoring in physics can provide you with a strong foundation in fundamental scientific principles that can be applied in a variety of fields. It can also make you a more well-rounded and knowledgeable scientist, which can be beneficial in any career path.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for someone with a minor in physics and a major in chemistry or geology?

Some potential career opportunities for someone with a minor in physics and a major in chemistry or geology include working in research and development, environmental consulting, or in industries related to energy, materials, or natural resources. Additionally, a minor in physics can also prepare you for graduate studies in a variety of fields.