Minimum Occupants for Probability of Fishing > 0.7

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum number of occupants that must be chosen in a town with a hundred occupants so that the probability of at least one occupant loving fishing is more than 0.7. The discussion concludes that Poisson is a suitable approximation to binomial in this scenario.
denian
in a town, one of a hundred occupants loves fishing. what is the minimum occupants must be chosen so that the probability that there is at least one occupant who loves fishing is more than 0.7?

i hope u understand the question, because I am doing some direct translation from my language to english.

ok. so, should i use poission or binomial. both lead to a very close answer. but which is more suitable. thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poisson is a suitable approximation to binomial when [tex]\lambda[/tex] is small enough and [tex]n[/tex] is large enough that [tex]\left(1-\frac{\lambda}{n}\right)^n\approx e^{-\lambda}[/tex], [tex]\frac{n(n-1)\cdots(n-i+1)}{n^i}\approx 1[/tex] and [tex]\left(1-\frac{\lambda}{n}\right)^i\approx 1[/tex]. Poisson looks fine for this.

Last edited:
thank you, grady

Related to Minimum Occupants for Probability of Fishing > 0.7

1. What is the significance of a minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7?

The minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 is an important factor in determining the success of a fishing expedition. It refers to the minimum number of people needed on a fishing boat for there to be a high likelihood of catching fish. If the minimum occupancy is not met, the probability of a successful fishing trip decreases significantly.

2. How is the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 calculated?

The minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 is typically calculated using mathematical models and data analysis. Factors such as the size of the fishing boat, the type of fish being targeted, and the level of fishing experience of the crew are taken into consideration when determining the minimum occupancy.

3. Is the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 the same for all fishing locations?

No, the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 can vary depending on the location. Factors such as water temperature, ocean currents, and the abundance of fish in a particular area can all impact the minimum occupancy needed for a high chance of success. It is important to research and understand the specific minimum occupancy for the location you plan on fishing.

4. How does the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 affect the overall fishing experience?

The minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 can greatly impact the overall fishing experience. If the minimum occupancy is not met, there is a higher chance of not catching any fish, leading to a less enjoyable and potentially frustrating experience. It is important to ensure that the minimum occupancy is met for a successful and satisfying fishing trip.

5. Can the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 change over time?

Yes, the minimum occupancy for a probability of fishing above 0.7 can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the fish population, weather conditions, and fishing regulations. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the minimum occupancy as needed for the best chance of a successful fishing trip.