Minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle

In summary, the problem is to find the minimum initial velocity and angle needed for a projectile to clear a 55m high wall located 100m downrange. This can be solved by using two equations, one involving energy and the other involving projectile kinematics, to determine the two unknowns.
vneff

Homework Statement

Assume there is a wall located 100m downrange (x=100) from the projectile launching position (x=0) that is 55m (y=55) high. What is the minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle necessary to clear the wall?

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the displacement but I'm confused as to how I am supposed to find both velocity and the projectile angle from this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
vneff said:

Homework Statement

Assume there is a wall located 100m downrange (x=100) from the projectile launching position (x=0) that is 55m (y=55) high. What is the minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle necessary to clear the wall?

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

I can find the displacement but I'm confused as to how I am supposed to find both velocity and the projectile angle from this information.

2 unknowns, angle and velocity.
Then you have find 2 equations to solve the problem.

vneff said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

h=(v^2sin^2α)/2g

Do exactly what azizlwl said. You have two unknowns, so you need two equations to get a solution. You could find one of those equations by considering energy and the other by using projectile kinematics.

Related to Minimum initial velocity of the projectile launched at what angle

1. What is the minimum initial velocity needed to launch a projectile at a certain angle?

The minimum initial velocity needed to launch a projectile at a certain angle depends on various factors such as the angle of launch, the mass of the projectile, and the force of gravity. However, in a vacuum with no air resistance, the minimum initial velocity can be calculated using the equation Vmin = √(g * d / sin(2θ)), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the horizontal distance the projectile needs to cover, and θ is the launch angle.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the minimum initial velocity of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant effect on the minimum initial velocity of a projectile. As the launch angle increases, the minimum initial velocity needed to reach a certain distance decreases. This is because at a higher angle, the vertical component of the initial velocity is smaller, allowing the projectile to travel a longer horizontal distance with the same initial velocity.

3. Can the minimum initial velocity of a projectile be determined without considering air resistance?

Yes, the minimum initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated without considering air resistance. In a vacuum, the only force acting on the projectile is the force of gravity, and the minimum initial velocity can be calculated using the equation Vmin = √(g * d / sin(2θ)). However, in real-world scenarios, air resistance must be taken into account, and the minimum initial velocity will be higher due to the resistance force.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect the minimum initial velocity?

The mass of a projectile has a direct impact on the minimum initial velocity. The greater the mass of the projectile, the higher the minimum initial velocity needed to launch it at a certain angle and reach a specific distance. This is because a heavier projectile requires more force to overcome its inertia and travel a certain distance.

5. Can the minimum initial velocity of a projectile be greater than its escape velocity?

No, the minimum initial velocity of a projectile cannot be greater than its escape velocity. The escape velocity is the minimum velocity needed for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a planet or celestial body and escape its orbit. Therefore, the minimum initial velocity needed to launch a projectile at a certain angle will always be lower than its escape velocity.