Minimum fencing when dividing triangle into 4 parts

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to divide an equilateral triangle into four equal parts with the least amount of fencing needed. One approach involves creating a circle in the middle and adding short segments, while another involves cutting off the corners with a curve. The latter approach can be solved using the calculus of variations and the Euler-Lagrange equations.
jonas.hall
So I have an equilateral triangle an I want to divide it in 4 parts, all having the same area. This can be done in a multitude of ways of course. But assuming it's a garden and the division is about putting up a fence, which division uses the least fencing?

Now I have two alternatives so far.

The first is to create a cirle in the middle and add three short segments from the circle to the midpoints of the sides. There should be a uniqe such solution and I just haven't bothered calculating it yet.

The second is, in my opinion more interesting. Cut of the corners with a curve symmetrical around the bisectors. Now if this curve was a straight line at right angles to the bisector it would be uniquely determined. Also if it was a circle centered in the vertex. After calculating some special cases one might be satisfied and pick the best but I was thinking one might set up a differential equation to find the best possible curve. But how would I set this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help on how to go about this would be much appreciated. One approach to this problem is to use the calculus of variations. The goal is to minimize the length of the fencing, which can be thought of as a functional (a function of some other functions). The idea is to find a curve that minimizes the length of the fence while still dividing the triangle into four equal parts. To do this, you can use the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are derived from minimizing the functional by varying the curve. This will give you a differential equation that you can then solve for the desired curve.

There are a few different ways to approach this problem, but one possible solution would be to use a combination of straight lines and circular arcs to divide the triangle into four equal parts with the minimum amount of fencing.

First, draw a straight line from each vertex to the opposite midpoint of the opposite side. This will create three smaller triangles within the original equilateral triangle.

Next, draw a circular arc from each vertex, intersecting the two adjacent sides at their midpoints. This will create four equal-sized sections within the original triangle.

By using this method, you will only need to construct three straight lines and three circular arcs, resulting in a total of six segments of fencing. This is likely the most efficient solution in terms of minimizing the amount of fencing needed.

As for using a differential equation to find the optimal curve, it may be possible to do so but it would likely be a complex and time-consuming process. It may be more practical to use a geometric approach, as described above, to find the most efficient solution.

Related to Minimum fencing when dividing triangle into 4 parts

What is the minimum amount of fencing needed to divide a triangle into 4 equal parts?

The minimum fencing needed to divide a triangle into 4 equal parts is equal to the perimeter of the original triangle.

Is there a specific method for dividing a triangle into 4 equal parts?

Yes, there are several methods for dividing a triangle into 4 equal parts. One method is to draw a line from the midpoint of one side to the opposite vertex, creating two smaller triangles. Then, draw a line from the midpoint of the remaining side to the opposite vertex, creating two more smaller triangles. These four smaller triangles will be equal in size.

Can a triangle be divided into 4 unequal parts with the same amount of fencing?

No, a triangle cannot be divided into 4 unequal parts with the same amount of fencing. In order for the four parts to have equal perimeter, they must also have equal sides. Therefore, the four parts will also be equal in size.

What is the ratio of the perimeter of the original triangle to the perimeter of the 4 equal parts?

The ratio of the perimeter of the original triangle to the perimeter of the 4 equal parts is 1:2. This means that the perimeter of the original triangle is twice the perimeter of each of the four equal parts.

Does the shape of the original triangle affect the minimum fencing needed to divide it into 4 parts?

Yes, the shape of the original triangle does affect the minimum fencing needed to divide it into 4 parts. For example, a right triangle will have a smaller perimeter compared to an equilateral triangle with the same side length. Therefore, the amount of fencing needed to divide an equilateral triangle into 4 parts will be greater than that of a right triangle.