Minimizing the maximum bending moment

In summary, the minimum bending moment happens when the positive moments are equal to the negative moments. I came up with the idea when I read the question but I made a huge mathematical mistake which kept us from getting the answer. So we solved the relevant equations and we even plotted bending moment vs l3 graph.
hamdal

Homework Statement

The question is asking us to minimize the maximum bending moment by changing l3.
l1=3(m)
l2=6.5(m)
l4=12(m)
P1=1200(KN)
P2=2300(KN)
P3=410(KN)
and we know that obviously, 6.5<l3<12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We made relevant cuts and acquired the equations for our bending moments in different sections of the beam.In the end,we have too many unknowns and not enough equations.We even tried plotting 3D graphs on MATLAB to find the optimum point,however we failed since we still had too many unknowns.We tried trial and error to give different values and we optimized it at l3=6.5(m),but we can't really get the value using maths.Something doesn't feel right about our method.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
It's very hard to help you without seeing your shear and bending moment equations. Maybe you could write these out for us?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
It's very hard to help you without seeing your shear and bending moment equations. Maybe you could write these out for us?

Chet
After a long day,we were able to solve the problem and I blame myself for the delay.
So in general,the minimum happens when the positive moments are equal to the negative moments (since we're talking about the magnitude of the moment).I came up with the idea when I read the question but I made a huge mathematical mistake which kept us from getting the answer.
So we solved the relevant equations and we even plotted bending moment vs l3 graph.

hamdal said:
After a long day,we were able to solve the problem and I blame myself for the delay.
So in general,the minimum happens when the positive moments are equal to the negative moments (since we're talking about the magnitude of the moment).I came up with the idea when I read the question but I made a huge mathematical mistake which kept us from getting the answer.
So we solved the relevant equations and we even plotted bending moment vs l3 graph.
Congrats. Sometimes the "arithmetic" can get pretty hairy.

Chet

Related to Minimizing the maximum bending moment

1. What is the concept of minimizing the maximum bending moment?

The concept of minimizing the maximum bending moment refers to the process of designing a structure or object in such a way that it can withstand external forces and loads without experiencing high levels of bending stress.

2. Why is minimizing the maximum bending moment important?

Minimizing the maximum bending moment is important because high levels of bending stress can lead to structural failure and potentially cause harm to people and property. By minimizing this stress, the structure or object can have a longer lifespan and be more reliable.

3. What factors influence the maximum bending moment?

The maximum bending moment is influenced by various factors such as the type of material used, the shape and size of the object, the location and magnitude of external forces, and the support conditions of the structure.

4. How can the maximum bending moment be minimized?

The maximum bending moment can be minimized through careful design and engineering techniques such as selecting appropriate materials, optimizing the shape and size of the structure, and distributing loads and forces evenly. Additionally, incorporating reinforcements and supports can also help minimize the maximum bending moment.

5. What are the potential consequences of not minimizing the maximum bending moment?

If the maximum bending moment is not minimized, the structure or object may experience high levels of stress, leading to potential failure and safety hazards. This can result in costly repairs, downtime, or even accidents. It is important to consider minimizing the maximum bending moment during the design and construction process to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the object.