Minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L] w/ phi(0)=0

In summary, the problem is to find a function for x in [0,L] that minimizes this: \int_0^{L} A \phi(x) \frac{ d \phi(x) }{dx} + B cos(\phi(x))\ d\mbox{x}
dirk_mec1
I'm trying to find a function for x in [0, L] that minimizes this:

[tex] \int_0^{L} A \phi(x) \frac{ d \phi(x) }{dx} + B cos(\phi(x))\ d\mbox{x} [/tex]

For real (given) positve numbers A and B.

with
[itex] \phi(0) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] \phi(x) [/itex] is an increasing positve function.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a calculus of variations problem.

I'm no expert, but the principal thing to do would be to find the Euler-Lagrange equation for [itex]\phi(x)[/itex]. The solution (or solutions) to that equation will be the function which minimizes that integral.

I don't exactly know how to do this, but if you look at the Wikipedia article on the calculus of variations, and go down to the section on the Euler-Lagrange equation, you should find some useful tips there.

Yes I get the zero function then but that is not what I am looking for.

the Euler-Lagrange equation only has zero as a solution?

Yes I get the zero function then but that is not what I am looking for.

[tex] \frac { \partial L } { \partial \phi } = A \frac{d \phi}{dx} -C sin ( \phi(x)) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dx } \left( \frac { \partial L } { \partial \phi' } \right) = A \frac{d \phi}{dx} [/tex]

[tex] \frac { \partial L } { \partial \phi } - \frac{d}{dx } \left( \frac { \partial L } { \partial \phi' } \right) = C sin ( \phi(x)) = 0 [/tex]

well that sure is interesting...

How do you know that the zero function isn't actually the solution you're looking for?

Also, since you're integrand doesn't depend explicitly on [itex]x[/itex], you can try the simplified Euler Lagrange equation instead:
[itex]L-\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}\frac{d \phi}{d x} = const[/itex].
Here, that would translate to
[itex]A \phi \phi' + B Cos(\phi) -(A \phi' - B Sin(\phi))\phi'= const[/itex]
or rather
[itex]A (\phi-\phi') \phi' + B \big(Cos(\phi) -\frac{d}{dx}( Cos(\phi)\big)= const[/itex]

I don't know how to solve this off the top of my head, but this equation probably admits more than zero as a solution.

Yes, you are right but I do not see how this is going to help me. This might be easier than an integral but this a non linear DE and I do not think an analytical solution exists.

Since [itex]\phi\phi' = \frac12 (\phi^2)'[/itex] you are trying to minimize [tex]
\frac{A\phi(L)^2}{2} + \int_0^L B\cos(\phi(x))\,dx.[/tex] The Euler-Lagrange equation is then [tex]B\sin(\phi) = 0[/tex] so that indeed [itex]\phi(x) = 0[/itex].

Do you have reason to believe that any other (differentiable) solutions exist? Also, although [itex]\phi(x) = 0[/itex] is not a strictly positive strictly increasing function, it is a positive increasing function.

(For weak solutions, you can take [tex]
\phi(x) = \begin{cases} 0 & 0 \leq x < x_0 \\
(2n+1)\pi & x_0 \leq x \leq L \end{cases}[/tex] for some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] and if [itex]0 < 2L - \frac{A(2n+1)^2\pi^2}{2B} < L[/itex] then for any [itex]0 < x_0 < 2L - \frac{A(2n+1)^2\pi^2}{2B}[/itex] you have [tex]
\frac{A\phi(L)^2}{2} + \int_0^L B \cos(\phi(x))\,dx = \frac{A(2n+1)^2\pi^2}{2} - B(L - x_0) < BL,[/tex] the last being the value attained when [itex]\phi[/itex] is zero.)

I made a mistake with the model. I will create a new thread.

Last edited:

Related to Minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L] w/ phi(0)=0

1. What is the purpose of minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi)?

The purpose of minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) is to find the minimum value of this function within the specified range [0,L], given that phi(0)=0. This can help in solving various optimization problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. What is the significance of phi(0)=0 in this equation?

Phi(0)=0 represents the initial condition of the function phi. It means that at the starting point of the range [0,L], the value of phi is 0. This condition is important in determining the behavior of the function and finding its minimum value.

3. How does changing the values of A and B affect the minimum value of Aphi' + Bcos(phi)?

Changing the values of A and B can affect the minimum value of Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in different ways. If A and B are both positive, increasing their values will lead to a higher minimum value. However, if A and B have opposite signs, increasing their values can result in a lower minimum value. The exact effect will depend on the specific values of A and B.

4. Is there a specific method for minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L]?

Yes, there are various methods for minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L], such as calculus-based methods like gradient descent and numerical methods like the golden section search and Newton's method. The choice of method will depend on the specific problem and its constraints.

5. Can minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L] have real-world applications?

Yes, minimizing Aphi' + Bcos(phi) in [0,L] has many real-world applications, especially in fields that involve optimization and function minimization. For example, it can be used in designing efficient structures, optimizing energy consumption, and predicting the behavior of physical systems.