Minimize Cost: Optimize Cost of Telephone Line Across River

In summary, the telephone company should place its point C below the river so that the cost of the line is minimized.
hallowon

Homework Statement

A telephone company has to run a line from point A on one side of a river to another point B that is on the other side, 5km down from the point opposite A. The river is uniformly 12 km wide. The company can run the line along the shoreline to a point C and then under the river to B. The cost of the line along the shore is $1000 per km and the cost under the river is twice as much. Where should point C be to minimize the cost?

Heres the recreated diagram that came qith question : http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v28/pokemon123/?action=view&current=opimzation.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cost =2000()+1000()

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, let x be the distance between A and C. Now I think you want to put expressions for distances in terms of x into () and (). Can you do that?

alright ill try.

i can't seem to put it in terms of x do i have to use pythagorean theorum using 12 and 5 km?

hallowon said:
i can't seem to put it in terms of x do i have to use pythagorean theorum using 12 and 5 km?

Yes, you do. Start with filling in the () in 1000(). You don't need the pythagorean theorem for that one. Then try the () in 2000(). You do for that one.

So, Cost =1000x + 2000(12^2 + 5^2)^(1/2)
Cost' = 1000?
x= 0?

Or, Cost =1000x + 2000(12^2 + (5-x)^2)^1(/2)

hallowon said:
So, Cost =1000x + 2000(12^2 + 5^2)^(1/2)
Cost' = 1000?
x= 0?

1000(x) is good. 2000(12^2 + 5^2)^(1/2) is less than good. The distance across the river is 12. The distance along the bank isn't 5. The distance along the bank between A and B is 5. What's the distance along the bank between C and B?

hallowon said:
Or, Cost =1000x + 2000(12^2 + (5-x)^2)^1(/2)

Yes. That's what you want.

So far ,Cost =1000x + 2000(12^2 + (5-x)^2)^1(/2)
Cost'= ((2000x-10 000/sqrt(x^2-10x+169)) +1000)
0 =
-1000sqrt(x^2-10x+169) = 2000x-10 000
sqrt(x^2-10x+169) = -2x+10
x^2-10x+169 =(-2x+10)^2
x^2-10x+169 = 4x^2-40+100
0 = x^2-10x-23

The answer on the back of my book says it is x=0 but this one yield no nice numbers.

Last edited:
If you don't get any minima between x=0 and x=5 then the cost minimum must be at either x=0 or x=5. Test them both and see which is less. If it's any encouragment, I got the same quadratic as you did for the minimum.

Last edited:

Related to Minimize Cost: Optimize Cost of Telephone Line Across River

1. How can I minimize the cost of installing a telephone line across a river?

The cost of installing a telephone line across a river can be minimized by carefully planning the route, considering alternative methods of installation such as aerial or underground cables, and negotiating with local authorities for any necessary permits or rights of way.

2. What factors contribute to the cost of installing a telephone line across a river?

The cost of installing a telephone line across a river can be influenced by the length of the line, the type of terrain, the method of installation, the cost of materials, and any required permits or rights of way.

3. How do I determine the most cost-effective route for a telephone line across a river?

The most cost-effective route for a telephone line across a river can be determined by considering factors such as the length of the line, the type of terrain, the availability of existing infrastructure, and potential obstacles or challenges. A cost-benefit analysis can also help in evaluating different route options.

4. Are there any environmental concerns or regulations that need to be considered when installing a telephone line across a river?

Yes, there may be environmental concerns or regulations that need to be considered when installing a telephone line across a river. These may include protecting wildlife habitats, complying with water quality standards, and obtaining permits for any construction or excavation near a river or waterway.

5. How can I optimize the cost of maintaining a telephone line across a river?

The cost of maintaining a telephone line across a river can be optimized by regularly inspecting and maintaining the line, using durable materials and proper installation techniques, and implementing a contingency plan for any potential disruptions or damages. Additionally, negotiating long-term contracts with service providers can help reduce maintenance costs over time.