Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle and the steps to find the value of lambda that minimizes the expression for I, which is defined as the integral of the squared wavefunction. The notes suggest to "minimise for lambda" by taking the derivative of I with respect to lambda and setting it equal to zero.
RadonX
Hi, so first post on this forum so I hope I'm doing everything good-as-gold!

I've been twisting my head around a derivation of the uncertainty principle and I'm a little stumped on something that I feel I really should know. Hope someone would like to help.

Certain things are defined at the start,
[tex]\hat{Q}'=\hat{Q}-\left\langle\hat{Q}\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\hat{R}'=\hat{R}-\left\langle\hat{R}\right\rangle[/tex]
[tex]\phi(x)=(\hat{Q}'+\textit{i}\lambda\hat{R}')\psi(x)[/tex]
[tex]I(\lambda)=\intdx\phi^{*}(x)\phi(x)\geq0[/tex]

I've followed the manipulation of [tex]I(\lambda)[/tex] all the way to the following line;
[tex]I(\lambda)=(\Delta Q)^{2}+\lambda^{2}(\Delta R)^{2}+\textit{i}\lambda\left\langle\left[\hat{Q},\hat{R}\right]\right\rangle\geq0[/tex]

That's all fine. In the notes he then says "Minimise for [tex]\lambda[/tex]" following it with;
[tex]2 \lambda(\Delta R)^{2}+\textit{i}\left\langle\left[\hat{Q},\hat{R}\right]\right\rangle=0[/tex]

He then subs it back into [tex]I(\lambda)[/tex]
It looks like he's differentiated wrt lambda. But I'm not entirely sure what he means when he says minimise for lambda.
Also, I haven't seen anywhere where 'I' has been defined. Not sure what it is!
Has anyone got any ideas?

MUCH appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It's great to see someone delving into the uncertainty principle and trying to understand it at a deeper level. I'm happy to help you with your question.

First off, I is defined as the integral of the squared wavefunction, which is always greater than or equal to zero. This is a fundamental property of probability and ensures that the wavefunction is normalized.

Now, when your notes say to "minimise for lambda", they mean to find the value of lambda that minimizes the expression for I. In other words, they are looking for the smallest possible value of I. This is because the uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum (or any two non-commuting observables) must be greater than or equal to a certain value, which is given by the expression for I.

To find this minimum value, we can take the derivative of I with respect to lambda and set it equal to zero. This is what your notes are doing in the next step. By setting the derivative equal to zero, we can solve for the value of lambda that minimizes I.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep exploring and questioning, that's what science is all about!

Related to Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation?

1. What is "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation"?

"Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation" is a mathematical technique used in optimization problems to find the minimum value of a function. It involves using the concept of lambda, or the Lagrange multiplier, to incorporate constraints into the optimization process.

2. How is lambda used in "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation"?

Lambda is used as a multiplier in the Lagrange function, which is a combination of the objective function and the constraints. This allows for the incorporation of constraints into the optimization process, which can then be solved using differentiation techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation"?

The use of "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation" allows for the optimization of functions with constraints, which cannot be done with traditional differentiation methods. It also provides a systematic approach to solving optimization problems, making it easier to find the minimum value of a function.

4. What are some real-world applications of "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation"?

"Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation" has various applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to optimize resource allocation, minimize costs in production processes, and find the optimal path for a system to follow.

5. Are there any limitations to "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation"?

While "Minimising for Lambda; Differentiation" is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems, it may not be suitable for all types of functions. It is also important to note that the solution obtained may not always be the global minimum, but rather a local minimum. Additionally, the process of finding the minimum value can be computationally intensive for more complex functions.