Mind challange when friends buys a car

In summary: Do the order of letters represent who goes first, second, third, and fourth?If so, then I believe the answer is CADB. This satisfies all conditions given.
Grinder
Four friends A, B, C and D are buying a car together.
They agree that everyone should have one of the first four trips all alone.

But the following conditions apply:

1. If D is allowed to get on the first trip, C would have the third trip.

2. If A or D take the second trip, C would have the first trip.

3. If and only if A receives the third trip, B want to have the second trip.

4. Will D get the third trip, A wants the second trip.

5. Will D get the last trip would C have the third and A the first.

In what possible orders can they take the first four trips so that all is happy?
Motivate your answer.

Good luck,folks! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Grinder! :smile:

CABD, CDAB, or CDBA

:smile: Thanks!

You have to justify the thought. Are there more? ;)

/Grinder

I like Serena said:
CABD, CDAB, or CDBA
Unless I am misunderstanding the conditions, your first answer violates condition 5, and your second answer violates condition 3. Only your third answer satisfies all 5 conditions. Additionally there is
CADB

Justification is an exhaustive search of all possibilities :smile:

DaleSpam said:
Unless I am misunderstanding the conditions, your first answer violates condition 5, and your second answer violates condition 3. Only your third answer satisfies all 5 conditions. Additionally there is
CADB

Justification is an exhaustive search of all possibilities :smile:

Oops! I mistyped my first solution and miss checked my second solution. :redface:
Grinder said:
:smile: Thanks!

You have to justify the thought. Are there more? ;)

/Grinder

No, there are no more:

It is easiest to verify the possibilities for D.
If D is first, the rules dictate uniquely when the others go, leading to a contradiction.
With D second, the order has to be CDBA.
With D third, CADB follows.
Finally with D 4th, we get another contradiction.

Hi!

What about ACDB and BCDA then? :wink:

What conditions are they violate? Or do they satisfy all conditions?? :smile:

/Grinder:biggrin:

and yes...I found the smilie button!

Grinder said:
Hi!

What about ACDB and BCDA then? :wink:

What conditions are they violate? Or do they satisfy all conditions?? :smile:

/Grinder:biggrin:

and yes...I found the smilie button!

"4. Will D get the third trip, A wants the second trip."

every one is wrong here... i will tell you how...

go back read the question again and solve it...

ACDB and BCDA is wrong

It is easiest to verify the possibilities for D. but If D is first, the rules dictate uniquely when the others go, leading to a wrong answer.With D the order D has to be CDBA.With D third, CADB follows.Finally with D fourth, we get another wrong answer.

Hi everyone,

Unless I am misreading the question, the answer is ABCD. To me the list of conditions is just that a list. IF this one does this than that one will be satisfied if he does this. In that case the only condition that has everyone happy in the end is condition 5 If D is last then C wants to be third and A wants to be first. That leaves B to be second.

Did I misread the question?

Unless I am mis-reading this, the answer is CADB

This one wasn't too hard. I came up with the following answer, if there's any flaws I'd like them to be pointed out.
CDBA

CADB @@v hehe.. If I understood it correctly?

I don't think that I understand this correctly

Related to Mind challange when friends buys a car

1. How does buying a car affect the mind?

Buying a car can have a significant impact on the mind as it is a major financial decision. It can cause stress, anxiety, and excitement all at the same time. It also requires careful consideration of various factors such as budget, safety, and practicality, which can be mentally challenging.

2. Why is it a mind challenge when friends buy a car?

When friends buy a car, it can create a sense of comparison and peer pressure, which can be mentally challenging. It can also lead to feelings of jealousy or inadequacy if one's friend buys a more expensive or nicer car.

3. What are some common mental struggles associated with buying a car?

Some common mental struggles when buying a car include deciding on a budget, choosing between different car models, dealing with salespeople, and negotiating a price. It can also be mentally challenging to consider the long-term financial impact and maintenance costs of owning a car.

4. How can one overcome the mental challenges of buying a car?

One way to overcome the mental challenges of buying a car is to do thorough research and set a realistic budget beforehand. It can also be helpful to involve a trusted friend or family member in the decision-making process for support and guidance. Practicing mindfulness and managing expectations can also help reduce stress and anxiety associated with buying a car.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed when buying a car?

Yes, it is entirely normal to feel overwhelmed when buying a car. It is a significant financial decision and requires careful consideration of various factors. It is essential to take breaks and not rush into any decisions to avoid feeling overwhelmed and making impulsive choices.