Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle: Experience the Impossible in Bali

In summary, the conversation discusses a cool optical illusion observed in a hotel room in Bali at night. A light from the street reflects off a mirror onto the wall, creating two separate shadows of a statue of a goddess. By placing his arm in the light, the speaker was able to make the two shadow arms appear to shake hands. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of relativity, but ultimately concludes that the phenomenon is not related to it.
PatrickPowers
This actually happened to me in a hotel in Bali.

It was night time and a light from the street was reflecting off of the mirror onto the wall. In front of the mirror was a statue of a goddess. Projected onto the wall were two separate shadows of the goddess, rotated with respect to one another about 90 degrees.

I went to the mirror, stuck my arm into the light, and was able to have my two shadow arms appear to shake hands.

How can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Would you please provide me with a schematic design of all items in the room that you have seen,which shows the position of the things( light,mirror,statue,wall and yourself) to each other?

I can't imagine how this has anything to do with relativity! Exactly how fast were you going at the time?

HallsofIvy said:
I can't imagine how this has anything to do with relativity! Exactly how fast were you going at the time?

I am sure his speed was 0 c! NOW its a relativity problem

HallsofIvy said:

Sorry. It has nothing to do with relativity. It should be in General Physics.

It's not a hard problem, but it is a very cool effect. I don't know why it isn't better known.

As Einstein said, "One image is direct, the other is from the light refledted off the mirror."

Related to Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle: Experience the Impossible in Bali

1. What is the purpose of the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle in Bali?

The Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle is a unique experience designed to challenge and stimulate the mind. It is a puzzle made of mirrors that creates an illusion of infinity and tests the limits of perception and understanding.

2. How does the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle work?

The Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle consists of a series of strategically placed mirrors that create a never-ending reflection. The angles and positions of the mirrors are carefully calculated to create the illusion of an infinite space, which can be disorienting and mind-bending.

3. Is the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle suitable for all ages?

While the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle is not physically demanding, it can be challenging for young children and those with motion sickness. The experience is recommended for ages 12 and up.

4. How long does it take to complete the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle?

The Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle does not have a set completion time as it is meant to be an open-ended experience. Some individuals may spend a few minutes exploring the illusion, while others may spend upwards of 30 minutes.

5. Is there any scientific significance to the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle?

While the Mind-Bending Mirror Puzzle is not a scientific experiment, it can be used to demonstrate concepts of optics and perception. It also serves as a reminder of the power of the mind and how easily it can be fooled by our senses.