Min Force to keep from Slipping

In summary, the question asks for the minimum force F, parallel to the inclined plane, needed to prevent a block weighing 70.6 N from slipping. Given the coefficients of static and kinetic friction, the attempt at a solution involved breaking the force of gravity into its components and setting up equations for the Y and X directions. The correct equation for the X direction is F + (0.23)(70cos(26.9)) - (70.6sin(26.9)) = 0, and solving for F gives a minimum force of 17.6 N.
SnowboardNerd

Homework Statement

A block weighing 70.6 N rests on a plane inclined at 26.9o to the horizontal. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.23 and 0.14 respectively. What is the minimum magnitude of the force F, parallel to the plane, that will prevent the block from slipping?

Picture Include!

Homework Equations

F=m*a

us*Fn = static friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I split force of gravity into its components. (Y DIRECTION). I found the Fn to equal mg cos theta

decided that for the X DIRECTION to do

F - usFn - mg sin theta = m * a... then I made A = 0... which made the [ ...left side... = 0 ]

Then I solved for F... which gave me 48.1799 N.

But unfortunately this is wrong. Any Ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• prob09a.gif
    prob09a.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
More of my attempt...

Sum F = M * A
Fn-mg = 0
Fn = mgcosTheta <---- I got this from breaking gravity into it's components.

X Direction:

Sum F = M * A
F - Static Friction - mgSinTheta = 0
F = uS*Fm - mgsinTheta

Can you please give me some direction? Thank you!

SnowboardNerd said:
Fn = mgcosTheta <---- I got this from breaking gravity into it's components.

F - Static Friction - mgSinTheta = 0
First equation is OK.

Now you were asked for the minimum force. Hence the block will tend to slip DOWNWARDS. Therefore frictional force is UP the plane.
If you correct the 2nd equation you are OK.

F - (0.23)(70.6cos(26.9)) - (70.6)sin(26.9)) = 0

F - Kintic Friction - mgSinTheta = 0

^^ Is that what you meant?

Thank you.

what is Fm ? kinetic friction doesn't come into the picture

I think Fn = W... so in the beginning when they said that it's W = 70.6 that means that Fn = 70.6?

I thought you ment Fn... I'm not sure what the variable Fm stands for

SnowboardNerd said:
F - (0.23)(70.6cos(26.9)) - (70.6)sin(26.9)) = 0

No that is not what I meant.
The first minus must be changed into plus since friction is up in same direction as the applied force F.
All is at rest so kinetic friction is out.

the downward component of the weight is more than the maximum static frictional force...
so you will need to apply the amount of force in the upward direction, which is the difference between the two

IssacNewton said:
the downward component of the weight is more than the maximum static frictional force...
so you will need to apply the amount of force in the upward direction, which is the difference between the two
Correct!

Related to Min Force to keep from Slipping

1. What is the definition of "Min Force to keep from Slipping"?

The minimum force required to prevent an object from slipping is the amount of force needed to counteract the force of gravity and any other external forces acting on the object.

2. How is "Min Force to keep from Slipping" calculated?

The calculation of the minimum force to keep an object from slipping involves determining the weight of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is resting on, and the angle of inclination of the surface.

3. What factors affect the "Min Force to keep from Slipping"?

The main factors that affect the minimum force to keep an object from slipping are the weight of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, and the angle of inclination of the surface. Other factors such as the shape and surface texture of the object and surface may also play a role.

4. How does the angle of inclination of the surface affect the "Min Force to keep from Slipping"?

The higher the angle of inclination of the surface, the greater the minimum force required to keep an object from slipping. This is because the weight of the object is acting more perpendicular to the surface, increasing the force of gravity and making it more difficult to counteract.

5. Why is it important to understand "Min Force to keep from Slipping"?

Understanding the minimum force required to keep an object from slipping is crucial in various fields such as engineering, construction, and sports. It helps in determining the stability and safety of structures and equipment, as well as in optimizing performance in sports activities that involve friction and inclines.