Microcanonical partition function - Dirac delta of operators

In summary, the microcanonical partition function is given by ##W = Tr\{\delta(E - \hat{H})\}##, which is the trace of the Dirac delta of the energy minus the Hamiltonian. This can be understood by thinking about a complete set of energy eigenstates ##a## and using the definition of a function of an operator. This formula allows for the calculation of the density of states at a fixed energy, taking into account the degeneracy of the energy eigenvalues.
ddd123

Homework Statement

Why is it that the microcanonical partition function is ##W = Tr\{\delta(E - \hat{H})\}##? As in, for example, Mattis page 62?
Moreover, what's the meaning of taking the Dirac delta of an operator like ##\hat{H}##?

Homework Equations

The density of states at fixed energy is the microcanonical partition function (using a truth-valued Kronecker delta):

##W(E, V, N) = \sum_{\text{all microstates i at V, N}} \delta_{E_i = E}##

The Dirac delta of an n-dimensional vector ##\vec{x}## (maybe it can be generalized if we see an operator as a matrix?):

##\delta (\vec{x}) = \delta(x_1) ... \delta(x_n)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe going in reverse to make sense of the result, using all microstates ##| i \rangle## (if the ##|i\rangle##'s are normalized we obtain the original W):

##Tr\{\delta(E - \hat{H})\} = \sum_i \langle i | \delta(E - \hat{H})\ | i \rangle = \sum_i \langle i | \delta(E - E_i)\ | i \rangle##

I don't even know if the last step is legitimate because I don't know what this Dirac delta of an operator is. If we see it as a big product of deltas of each matrix entry the action on a ket is lost (besides: in what basis? I suppose it doesn't matter since we take the trace after, but the formal expression even outside of trace shouldn't change meaning with change of basis to be well-defined, so it seems ill-defined this way).

Actually I'm not even sure I did something meaningful since we're interested in a large amount of degenerate states with respect to the Hamiltonian: should its trace be taken to entries with same or different energies? Maybe I should've used the degenerate energy eigenkets ##| n \rangle## instead? But then I don't get the desired result.

Simply put I'm completely confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's suppose a parameterizes a complete set of energy eingenstates.
$$H \mid a \rangle = \varepsilon(a)\mid a \rangle$$
Then we have $$\delta(E - H)\mid a \rangle = \delta(E - \varepsilon(a))\mid a \rangle$$
You are right we have to think about degeneracy to understand this. Do you know how to do a change of variables when you have a Dirac delta of a function, such as ##\delta(f(x))##? It's going to turn into a sum or integral over all the zeros of the function. Additionally, there will be a factor of ##1/\left| f'(x)\right|## multiplying the new integrand. If ##a_0 ## are the solutions to ##E - \varepsilon(a)=0##
$$\int da g(a) \delta(E - \varepsilon(a)) = \int da g(a) \sum_{a_0} \frac{1}{\left|- \varepsilon'(a_0)\right|} \delta(a - a_0)$$
Let me know if that helps.

I found this definition which was what I needed: for a complete basis of eigenkets of A with eigenvalues ##a_i##

##f(A) = \sum_i f(a_i) |a_i\rangle \langle a_i|##

so

##\delta(a - A) = \sum_i \delta(a - a_i) |a_i\rangle \langle a_i|##

which justifies the formula since you can find an orthonormal basis of degenerate eigenkets of the Hamiltonian (there's more than one but you can choose one) with which to take the trace. Thus the sum is actually counting the degeneracy of the chosen eigenvalue E which is the fixed energy.

Related to Microcanonical partition function - Dirac delta of operators

1. What is a microcanonical partition function?

A microcanonical partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy among a system's particles. It is a function that depends on the system's energy and other physical properties, and it represents the probability of the system having a particular energy value.

2. How does the microcanonical partition function relate to the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is often used in the calculation of the microcanonical partition function. It represents an infinitely narrow peak at a specific energy value, and when integrated over all energies, it gives the total number of possible states with that energy. This allows us to calculate the probability of a system having a specific energy value.

3. What is the role of operators in the microcanonical partition function?

Operators, such as the Hamiltonian operator, play a crucial role in the microcanonical partition function. They represent physical quantities that can be measured in the system, such as energy or momentum. These operators are used to calculate the average values of these quantities in a given energy state, which is essential in determining the microcanonical partition function.

4. How is the microcanonical partition function used in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the microcanonical partition function is used to determine the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its temperature, entropy, and free energy. These properties can be calculated from the microcanonical partition function by taking derivatives with respect to energy and other physical variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of the microcanonical partition function?

The microcanonical partition function has many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems like proteins and polymers. It is also used in the design of new materials and in understanding phase transitions in materials.