Micro Nuclear Device: Is It Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a micro nuclear device being used in the Bali bombing. There is debate over whether or not such a device exists and if it would produce a similar blast size as a conventional bomb. It is also noted that any nuclear device, regardless of size, would produce radiation.
Debree
I have a limited understanding of how nuclear devices work and understand the basic physics related to fusion and fission.

However whilst I do not believe the latest assertions by Bashir the cleric from Indonesia who reckons the CIA set off a micro nuclear device in Bali - rather than it being some radical moslems from Indonesia.

It did get me to wondering though is there any such thing as a micro nuclear device? The explosions we classically see from nuclear tests and WW2 footage show enormous blasts, and the other information I have read seems to indicate that the critcal mass of product required would result in a sizable blast area - certainly much bigger than the one nightclub destroyed in Bali.

Can anyone tell me if:

a. there is any such thing as a micro nuclear bomb / device
b. if there was such a thing would it be possible for it to be mistaken for a normal device - ie by blast size?
c. and confirm that surely there would be some radiation output?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This'll get moved to S&D, or GD as a "conspiracy" thread. 'Bout the smallest nuclear warheads built for the U. S. arsenal were the Davy Crockett, or the "silver bullets" for the 155 (apocryphal --- heard about 'em at Ft. Sill, but never been able to confirm their existence). DC couldn't throw the warhead far enough to get the crew out of the fallout zone --- might as well put it in a suitcase and throw it --- after bending over, putting your head between your legs, and kissing your ass good-bye. 10-20 ton yield (not kton, ton) --- around half the size of the average mine under the Messines Ridge in WW I --- definitely more than enough to put the Bali club into low Earth orbit.

Critical mass of uranium in a sphere is approx. 20kgs I think, fusion doesn't need a specific mass or shape(obviously you want a lot for a large explosion), but it does need 100,000,000°c which is only obtainable by a normal nuclear explosion. So the smallest nuclear bomb would have to contain 20kgs of Uranium in 2 semi-spheres and some explosives as well as some neutron emmiters.

(I'm am in no way an expert on the matter but this is what I understand is required from my high-school knowledge and misc. facts I look up on the net)

And yes; there would be radiation. In fact, it is likely that the ratio of radiation to blast size would be much worse for a smaller device, because the higher ratio of surface area to mass within the fissile material would render such a device much less efficient. I think there are other innefficiencyies associated with a smaller device, but this is just speculation on my part (so far).

What I do know for certain is that there is no known way to produce a fission reaction without releasing radiation.

Related to Micro Nuclear Device: Is It Possible?

1. Is it possible to create a micro nuclear device?

Yes, it is possible to create a micro nuclear device. Scientists have successfully developed and tested nuclear weapons with smaller and smaller yields, making it feasible to create a micro nuclear device.

2. How small can a micro nuclear device be?

The exact size of a micro nuclear device is difficult to determine as it depends on the purpose and capabilities of the device. However, scientists have been able to create nuclear devices with yields as low as 0.5 kilotons, which is considered a micro yield compared to traditional nuclear weapons.

3. What are the potential uses of a micro nuclear device?

A micro nuclear device could potentially be used for a variety of purposes, such as energy production, medical treatments, or even as a weapon. It could also be used in space exploration, as it could provide a compact and powerful energy source for long-term missions.

4. What are the risks associated with a micro nuclear device?

Like any nuclear device, a micro nuclear device carries significant risks. If not properly controlled and contained, it could lead to a nuclear explosion and release harmful radiation. There are also concerns about the potential for accidents or deliberate misuse of the device.

5. What are the current advancements and limitations in creating a micro nuclear device?

Scientists are continuously working on improving the technology and understanding of micro nuclear devices. Some current advancements include using new materials and designs to increase efficiency and miniaturize the devices. However, there are still technical and safety limitations that need to be addressed before widespread use of micro nuclear devices can be considered.

Back