Michelson Interferometer ring contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical cause of interferometric rings contracting when the separation of mirrors is reduced. It is explained through the equation m\lambda = 2Lcos\theta, where m is the number of fringes and reducing L causes cos\theta to increase. The direction of movement of the mirrors does not affect the contraction. It is also suggested that placing a movable marker on a fringe can physically determine if the rings are contracting or expanding, and that all fringes will eventually contract when the mirrors coincide.
epsilon
I have been trying for hours to understand what is physically causing the interferometric rings to contract when the separation of the mirrors is reduced.

df178ac5183850e78f12a22a2ac873d2.png

From the equation: [itex]m\lambda = 2Lcos\theta[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] is the number of fringes, if we consider just one fringe at a fixed wavelength, [itex]m\lambda[/itex] is constant and hence [itex]2Lcos\theta[/itex] is also constant.

Hence reducing [itex]L[/itex] causes [itex]cos\theta[/itex] to increase, which is analogous to reducing [itex]\theta[/itex]. [Is this where I'm going wrong?]

Question 1: When reducing d in the image above, does it matter if we are moving [itex]L_1[/itex] towards [itex]L_2[/itex] or vice versa? (Is it directionally dependent?)

Question 2: The image suggests that [itex]\theta[/itex] is only linked to [itex]L_1[/itex]. If I move [itex]L_1[/itex] towards [itex]L_2[/itex], the adjacent side of the right-angled triangle is getting shorter, and hence [itex]\theta[/itex] must be increasing. But this goes against what happens when it is considered mathematically.

How can we tell PHYSICALLY whether the rings are contracting or expanding? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
epsilon said:
Hence reducing [itex]L[/itex] causes [itex]cos\theta[/itex] to increase, which is analogous to reducing [itex]\theta[/itex]. [Is this where I'm going wrong?]
That's correct, and should confirm that the fringes contract when the mirror separation is reduced.
epsilon said:
Question 1: When reducing d in the image above, does it matter if we are moving L1L_1 towards L2L_2 or vice versa? (Is it directionally dependent?)
It doesn't matter.
epsilon said:
Question 2: The image suggests that θ\theta is only linked to L1L_1. If I move L1L_1 towards L2L_2, the adjacent side of the right-angled triangle is getting shorter, and hence θ\theta must be increasing. But this goes against what happens when it is considered mathematically.
I don't get your point.
epsilon said:
How can we tell PHYSICALLY whether the rings are contracting or expanding? Thank you.
I think you can place a movable marker on a particular fringe, when you decrease ##d##, this marker should go radially inward. That's when you would say the fringes are contracting.
Btw, notice that the zeroth order is located at infinity. This means, if you decrease ##d##, all fringes will actually contract such that in the end there is only bright area on the screen when ##d=0##, i.e. when the mirrors coincide.

Likes epsilon
blue_leaf77 said:
That's correct, and should confirm that the fringes contract when the mirror separation is reduced.

It doesn't matter.

I don't get your point.

I think you can place a movable marker on a particular fringe, when you decrease ##d##, this marker should go radially inward. That's when you would say the fringes are contracting.
Btw, notice that the zeroth order is located at infinity. This means, if you decrease ##d##, all fringes will actually contract such that in the end there is only bright area on the screen when ##d=0##, i.e. when the mirrors coincide.

Thank you, that was quite helpful (still slight uncertainty but better understanding now than before!)

1. What is the principle behind the Michelson Interferometer ring contraction?

The Michelson Interferometer ring contraction is based on the principle of interference, where two light waves are combined to produce a pattern of alternating bright and dark bands. This pattern is used to measure the difference in the length of the two arms of the interferometer, which is affected by the motion of the instrument.

2. How does the Michelson Interferometer measure ring contraction?

The Michelson Interferometer uses a beam splitter to split a single beam of light into two equal beams, which travel along the two arms of the instrument. When the two beams are recombined, they interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes. The number and position of these fringes can then be used to calculate the amount of ring contraction.

3. What is the significance of measuring ring contraction with the Michelson Interferometer?

Ring contraction is an important phenomenon in the field of physics, as it is one of the key predictions of Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. Measuring ring contraction with the Michelson Interferometer can provide evidence for the validity of this theory, and has been used in numerous experiments to test its accuracy.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Michelson Interferometer measurement?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the Michelson Interferometer measurement, including the stability of the instrument, external vibrations, and the quality of the light source. These factors must be carefully controlled and accounted for in order to obtain precise and reliable measurements.

5. How is the Michelson Interferometer ring contraction used in practical applications?

The Michelson Interferometer ring contraction is used in a variety of practical applications, including gravitational wave detection, precision measurements of length and distance, and in the study of Earth's rotation and the effects of gravity on light. It has also been used in experiments to test the predictions of other theories, such as the theory of quantum mechanics.