Mice - Plugged in, Rechargeable, or Batteries?

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the Logitech Performance Mouse MX is a wireless mouse that uses a single rechargeable AA battery. It comes with an Eneloop LSD AA battery, which can be easily replaced in a few years. The mouse can also be recharged via micro USB while still in use, making it convenient even if the battery dies. It retails for $80 but can be found cheaper with sales or discounts.

How are your mice connected to your computer?

• Hardwired

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Wireless - built-in recharcheable system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wireless - store-bought batteries

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mugaliens
Just a quick poll. :)

- Mugs

Computer science news on Phys.org
I recently bought a Logitech Performance Mouse MX and am very happy with it. It is wireless and uses a single standard rechargeable AA battery. However it has two characteristics that make it interesting. First off, it comes with an Eneloop LSD AA battery, which is nice because it makes it similar to a built in battery except that in a few years I can just replace the battery trivially. Second, it can recharge the AA battery while inside the mouse. It charges via micro USB either from the computer or from a provided power adapter. What is very nice is that the mouse still works while charging. Which means that even if I run it completely dead I can just either toss in a different AA or plug it into the computer and have it recharge as I use it.

The only problem is that it retails for about $80, which is rather absurd for a mouse. However, if you keep your eyes open you can get it cheaper. I got mine for http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2170526" shipped after rebate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mice - Plugged in, Rechargeable, or Batteries?

1. What is the difference between a plugged in, rechargeable, and battery-operated mouse?

A plugged in mouse requires a constant connection to a power source, usually through a USB cable, in order to function. A rechargeable mouse can be powered by a rechargeable battery that can be refilled with electricity when it runs low. A battery-operated mouse uses disposable batteries that need to be replaced when they run out of power.

2. Which type of mouse is the most cost-effective in the long run?

A rechargeable mouse may have a higher upfront cost, but it is generally the most cost-effective option in the long run. This is because you can reuse the same battery multiple times without needing to constantly buy new batteries like with a battery-operated mouse.

3. Is a plugged in mouse more reliable than a rechargeable or battery-operated one?

In terms of reliability, all three types of mice are equally reliable. However, a plugged in mouse may be more convenient as you do not have to worry about battery life or recharging the battery.

4. Can I use a different type of battery for a battery-operated mouse?

It is important to use the type of battery recommended by the manufacturer for your specific mouse. Using a different type of battery may affect the performance and lifespan of the mouse.

5. How long does a rechargeable mouse battery last?

The lifespan of a rechargeable mouse battery can vary depending on usage and quality. Generally, a rechargeable battery can last for several months to a few years before needing to be replaced.