MHD Generator Performance with Ionised Gas

• Thread starter T C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mhd
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of plasma in an MHD generator and whether using simple ionized gas instead would have the same effect. Plasma is defined as gas divided into electrons and ions, while ionized gas refers to gas molecules being ionized. However, both behave similarly when passing through a magnetic field. The distinction between the two is the overall charge, with plasma having a zero net charge and ionized gas having a positive or negative charge. The conclusion is that while there may be some differences, both plasma and ionized gas can be used effectively in MHD generators. The repulsive forces between like charged particles may be negligible in MHD.
T C
TL;DR Summary
I want to that instead of plasma, if just ionised gas is used in an MHD Generator, will it work in the same way.
As per this wikipedia page, plasma is necessary for functioning of an MHD Generator. But, what I want to know is if just simple ionised gas is used instead of plasma, will the generator perform in the same way?
As per my little knowledge of physics, there is no reason that it wouldn't. Because whether plasma or ionised gas, both will perform in the same manner while passing through a magnetic field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What distinction are you drawing between "plasma" and "ionized gas"?

Plasma is when gas is divided into electron and ion (sometimes just the nucleus) while ionised gas means gas molecules are ionised. In short, for plasma the grand total charge is zero as the number of free electrons and positively charges ions are same. While for ionised gas it's either positive or negative.
But, as per my little knowledge of physics, the effect can't be different.

My common sense tells me that there should be no difference, but to be assured I have posted this site. But as there is no reply, then I can conclude that it can be possible. At least there is no theoretical opposition to it.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/what_is_the_difference_between_plasma_and_gas_discharge

I have clearly said what I want to mean by Plasma. Whatsoever, as per the link, the behaviour of plasma and ionised gas isn't much different while being used in MHD generators. That's my conclusion.

T C said:
Whatsoever, as per the link, the behaviour of plasma and ionised gas isn't much different while being used in MHD generators. That's my conclusion.
An ionized gas with nonzero net charge will have repulsive forces between the like charged particles. Are you concluding that those forces are negligible in MHD?

T C said:
But, what I want to know is if just simple ionised gas is used instead of plasma, will the generator perform in the same way?
It definitely won't perform 'the same way', but it'll still work. It will work with any mass what contains charged particles.
Salted water included.

That's the kind of answer that I want to hear so far.

Related to MHD Generator Performance with Ionised Gas

1. What is an MHD generator?

An MHD (magnetohydrodynamic) generator is a device that converts the energy of ionized gas (plasma) into electrical energy using the principles of magnetohydrodynamics. It is a type of electric power generator that does not have any moving parts, making it more reliable and efficient compared to traditional generators.

2. How does an MHD generator work?

An MHD generator works by passing a conductive, ionized gas (such as superheated steam or plasma) through a magnetic field. The movement of the gas particles through the magnetic field creates an electric current, which can then be harnessed as electrical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using an MHD generator?

Some of the advantages of using an MHD generator include its high efficiency, low maintenance requirements, and ability to use a variety of fuel sources (such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear energy). It also produces fewer emissions compared to traditional generators, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

4. What factors affect the performance of an MHD generator?

The performance of an MHD generator can be affected by a number of factors, including the temperature and pressure of the ionized gas, the strength and configuration of the magnetic field, and the design of the generator itself. Additionally, the type and quality of the fuel being used can also impact its performance.

5. What are the potential applications of MHD generators?

MHD generators have a wide range of potential applications, including power generation for spacecraft, marine propulsion, and industrial power plants. They can also be used in combination with other energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to increase overall energy efficiency.