MGF Techniques for Chi-Square Distribution on 2n Degrees of Freedom

In summary, the conversation discusses using moment generating function techniques to show that the distribution of W, defined as 2n alpha times the sample mean of a random sample from the distribution, is chi-square with 2n degrees of freedom. The conversation also mentions using the m.g.f. of each X_i and properties of exponents and expected values to calculate the integral and ultimately prove the desired result.
dim&dimmer

Homework Statement

rvX has [tex] f(x) = \alpha \exp^{-\alpha x} , and \ W = 2n \alpha \overline {X}[/tex] defines a random sample from the distribution.
Use moment generating function techniques to show that the distribution of W is chi-square on 2n degrees of freedom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well...
Ive let [tex] \alpha = \frac {1}{\beta}[/tex], then [tex]f(x)[/tex] ~ [tex] exp(\beta)[/tex]
[tex]M_x(t) = (1 - \beta t)^{-1}[/tex]
mgf of W with w~chisquare(2n)
[tex] M_w(t) = (1 - 2t)^{-2v} [/tex]

I don't really know what to do after this. Any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll use [tex] T [/tex] for the statistic of interest.

[tex]
T = 2n\alpha \overline X = 2 \alpha \sum_{i=1}^n X_i
[/tex]

You know the m.g.f. of each [tex] X_i [/tex] (they are iid). When you begin to calculate

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{st} \, dt = E[e^{st}]
[/tex]

remember that [tex] t [/tex] is a sum, and use properties of exponents and expected values. You should wind up with a product that will lead you to the answer. (This all relies on the fact that the moment-generating function uniquely identifies the [tex] \chi^2 [/tex] distribution.)

Related to MGF Techniques for Chi-Square Distribution on 2n Degrees of Freedom

What is the moment generating function (MGF) of chi square?

The moment generating function (MGF) of a chi square distribution is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of a set of random variables. It is defined as the expected value of e^tx, where x is the random variable and t is a parameter.

How is the MGF of chi square calculated?

The MGF of a chi square distribution can be calculated by taking the expected value of e^tx and simplifying the expression using the properties of the distribution. For example, for a chi square distribution with k degrees of freedom, the MGF can be expressed as (1-2t)^(-k/2).

What is the importance of the MGF of chi square in statistics?

The MGF of a chi square distribution is important in statistics because it allows for the calculation of moments, which are statistical measures of the shape of a distribution. These moments can provide valuable information about the distribution and can be used to perform various statistical tests and analyses.

How is the MGF of chi square used in hypothesis testing?

The MGF of a chi square distribution is used in hypothesis testing to determine whether a sample comes from a population with a specific distribution. This is done by comparing the MGF of the sample to the theoretical MGF of the distribution. If they are similar, then the null hypothesis is accepted.

Can the MGF of chi square be used for any number of degrees of freedom?

Yes, the MGF of chi square can be used for any number of degrees of freedom. However, for large degrees of freedom, the MGF can become difficult to calculate and may require the use of specialized software or techniques.