Method of undetermined coefficients

In summary: The original equation is y=-9A*sin(3t)+9B*cos(3t), but when I substituted in "A*T" (instead of just "A"), it reduced to y=-9A*T+9B*T which is the same as y=-9A. However, when I tried substituting "B*T" it still didn't work, which means that the A and B in the original equation must be functions of t.
phantomcow2
y''+9y=sin(3t)

I need to solve the above using the method of undetermined coefficients.
I have already found the solution to y''+9y=0 is c1(Cos3t)+c2(sin3t).

The problem is finding the particular solution. From class I am aware that the general form of the solution is ASin(3t)+BCos(3t).

Taking the second derivative, I get -9ASin(3t) - 9BCos(3t). And substituting it in I get

-9ASin(3t) - 9BCos(3t) + 9(ASin(3t)+BCos(3t))=Sin(3t)

But entire left side reduces to zero! How, then, can I solve for the correct A and B? I understand I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I'm having difficulty spotting it. Could someone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the second derivative, I get -9ASin(3t) - 9BCos(3t). And substituting it in I get
-9ASin(3t) - 9BCos(3t) + 9(ASin(3t)+BCos(3t))=Sin(3t)
But entire left side reduces to zero! How, then, can I solve for the correct A and B? I understand I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I'm having difficulty spotting it.
No wonder "entire left side reduces to zero" since y=-9ASin(3t)-9BCos(3t) is solution of y''+9y=0 . It isn't solution of y''+9y=Sin(3t)
To be solution of y''+9y=Sin(3t), the unknown A and B should be not constant, but function of t :
y=-9A(t)Sin(3t)-9B(t)Cos(3t)
In the dérivatives of y, don't forget the derivatives of A(t) and B(t).

Slightly simpler: A(t) and B(t) can be written as A times t and B times t where A and B are now constants.

Slightly simpler: A(t) and B(t) can be written as A times t and B times t where A and B are now constants.
Not "slightly" simpler, but "very much" simpler ! Of course, but this supposes that the form of the function is already known y=A*t*sin(t)+B*t*cos(t)
If one doesn't know it, he will have to let A(t) and B(t). And unfortunately, he will have to work a lot more...

Awesome. Thanks for the helpful responses -- I solved the differential equation and plugging in A*T instead of just "A" worked. I recall my professor mentioning that once during class.

I realize why my original guess wasn't a solution, too.

Related to Method of undetermined coefficients

What is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a mathematical technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by assuming the form of the solution and solving for the coefficients.

When is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients used?

This method is used when the non-homogeneous term in a linear differential equation is in the form of a polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, or a combination of these functions.

What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equations?

A homogeneous differential equation has a non-zero homogeneous term, meaning the equation equals zero. A non-homogeneous differential equation has a non-zero non-homogeneous term, meaning the equation does not equal zero.

What are the limitations of the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

This method can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not work for certain types of non-homogeneous terms, such as repeated roots or non-constant coefficients.

Can the Method of Undetermined Coefficients be used for higher order differential equations?

Yes, this method can be used for any order of differential equation as long as it is linear with constant coefficients and has a non-homogeneous term that fits the criteria for this method.