Method of dominant balance

In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of dominant balance for large x to solve the differential equation $y''-(2+x^2)y=0$. The method involves looking for a solution of the form $y=e^w$, where $w$ is a function of $x$. The conversation outlines the process of finding the solution by looking for a first approximation of $w'$ and then adjusting it to balance with the dominant term in the expression for $w''+w'^2$. This results in two possible solutions, one for $a=1$ and one for $a=-1$. The conversation also mentions finding a third term approximation for $w'$ and how to eliminate unwanted terms. Overall, the method of dominant balance
Poirot1
solve (first three terms) $y''-(2+x^2)y=0$ using the method of dominant balance (for large x).

I solved this and got 4 different solutions when I think I should be getting 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
solve (first three terms) $y''-(2+x^2)y=0$ using the method of dominant balance (for large x).

I solved this and got 4 different solutions when I think I should be getting 2.
The method here is that you look for a solution of the form $y=e^w$, where $w$ is some function of $x$ that has to be determined. Then $y' = w'e^w$, $y'' = (w'' + w'^2)e^w$, and the equation $y''-(2+x^2)y=0$ becomes $w'' + w'^2 = x^2+2.$

As a first approximation, you try $w' = ax^\alpha$. Then $w'' + w'^2 = a\alpha x^{\alpha-1} + a^2x^{2\alpha}$. We want this to look like $x^2+2$ for large $x$. The dominant term there is clearly $x^2$, and to make this balance with the dominant term in the expression for $w'' + w'^2$, we need to take $\alpha=1$ and $a^2=1$. That gives you two possible answers, one for $a=1$ and one for $a=-1.$

Taking the case $a=1$ (so that $w'=x$), we look for a second term, so that $w'$ is then of the form $w' = x+bx^\beta$ (where $\beta<1$). In that case, $w'' = 1 + b\beta x^{\beta-1}$ and $w'^2 = x^2 +2bx^{\beta+1} + b^2x^{2\beta}.$ Thus $w''+w'^2 = x^2 + 1 +2bx^{\beta+1} + b\beta x^{\beta-1} + b^2x^{2\beta}.$ Comparing this with $x^2+2$, we see that the term $x^2$ already balances. The next thing to look for is the constant term. In the expression for $w''+w'^2$ it is 1, but we want it to be 2. So we need an additional 1, and we can get that by taking $\beta=-1$ and $b=\frac12.$ Thus $w' = x + \frac12x^{-1}.$

In a similar way, for the third term we take $w' = x + \frac12x^{-1} +cx^{\gamma}$ (where $\gamma<-1$). Then $w'' = 1 -\frac12x^{-2} +c\gamma x^{\gamma-1}$ and $w'^2 = x^2 +1 + \frac14x^{-2} + 2cx^{\gamma+1} + cx^{\gamma-1} + c^2x^{2\gamma}.$ Thus $$w''+w'^2 = x^2 + 2 -\tfrac14x^{-2} + 2cx^{\gamma+1} + c(1+\gamma)x^{\gamma-1} + c^2x^{2\gamma}.$$ This time, we already have the $x^2+2$ that we want, but we need to eliminate the unwanted term $-\tfrac14x^{-2}$. To do that, take $\gamma=-3$ and $c=\frac18$, so that the term $2cx^{\gamma+1}$ becomes $\tfrac14x^{-2}$ which balances out the unwanted term.

Thus the three-term approximation for $w'$ is $w' = x+\frac12x^{-1}+\frac18x^{-3}$. (You then need to integrate this to get $w$ and then exponentiate it to get $y$.) Notice that the only stage where there was any choice in the parameters was in the first step, where we took $a=1$ rather than $a=-1$.

Taking $a=-1$ and applying the same method, I get the second solution as $w' = -x -\frac32x^{-1} +\frac{15}8x^{-3}$ (but I haven't checked that and I don't guarantee its accuracy). So there are indeed two solutions, as there should be.

Related to Method of dominant balance

1. What is the method of dominant balance?

The method of dominant balance is a mathematical technique used to simplify differential equations by identifying and eliminating terms that are significantly smaller or larger than others. This helps to reduce the complexity of the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. How does the method of dominant balance work?

The method of dominant balance works by comparing the coefficients of the dominant terms in a differential equation. The dominant term is the one that has the largest exponent or the largest coefficient. By equating the coefficients of the dominant terms, the smaller terms can be neglected, leading to a simpler equation.

3. When is the method of dominant balance used?

The method of dominant balance is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve differential equations that arise in various applications. It is particularly useful in problems involving small or large parameters, where the traditional methods of solving equations may not be effective.

4. What are the advantages of using the method of dominant balance?

The method of dominant balance can simplify complex equations and reduce the amount of computation required to solve them. This technique also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a system and can provide insights into the solution that may not be apparent through other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of dominant balance?

While the method of dominant balance can be a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it is not always applicable. It works best for equations with one dominant term and may not be effective for equations with multiple dominant terms or for equations with rapidly varying coefficients. Additionally, the method may not provide an exact solution but rather an approximation.