Meter Movement Magnet Activity: 600-800 CPM

In summary: Ferro-Uranium rivets from the 1940's or 50's?In summary, an old meter movement magnet showed some radioactive activity. Today, photographs were taken to determine just how much activity was present. Based on the magnet and photos, it appears that the emitted particles are beta or alpha particles.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The other day I used my Ludlum survey meter to check out if any of my old junk electrical part may show any traces of radioactivity. I was rather surprised to find an old meter movement magnet showed some activity. Today I took some pictures while determining just how much activity there was. With the Ludlum meter can't tell what type of radioactivity it is, but since I had to have the detector really close, I guessing either beta or alpha. It turned out that the activity was coming from a rivet that's holding the laminates together. I'm getting somewhere between 600 and 800 Counts/minute. Any comments welcome.

The magnet laminates showing the rivet:
meter magnet.jpg

Activity on the X0.1 scale:
X0.1 scale.jpg

Activity on the X1 scale:
X1 scale.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
my old junk electrical part
How "old?"

Bystander said:
How "old?"
I don't know. Maybe in the '50s, but that's just a guess.

dlgoff said:
'50s, but that's just a guess.
Looking at the plating, lack of rust/corrosion, ink color, I'd agree, '50s to '70s.

Is that rivet copper plated?

Copper, Vanadium and Uranium ores run together in US southwest. When i visited the Phelps-Dodge Morenci mine about 1969 they used electrolytic refining and made mighty pure copper. I don't know how they did it in late 40's, early 50's though .

So my guess would be trace uranium in the vanadium alloy rivet steel and/or its copper plating. Just a GUESS with no real basis.

Guys down at Wolf Creek could identify the isotope but at that activity, even though it's a miniscule 600 cpm, they might not be able to give it back to you..
Know any HP techs there?

Hmmm 50's was the decade of atmospheric weapons testing.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Is that rivet copper plated?
It's doesn't look like copper and it appears that whatever it was "plated"(?) with was done on both the rivet and the laminates. Here's a couple of other close up pics.
plating.jpg

laminates.jpg

Depending on the angle of the light source you can get "coppery" hues on all of it.

A sheet or two of paper should shield alpha particles.
A thin sheet of glass or metal should shield beta particles.
[ref]

It may not identify the source element/isotope, but at least we'd know what the emitted particles are.

Likes Asymptotic
My first thought was cobalt in the magnetic steel , but why would it be only in the rivet? Unless the rivet factory got a bar of contaminated steel...
Probably there was some Co60 floating around in the 50's.

That coating looks suspiciously like shellac. Or, maybe, some sort of chemical passivation.

Likes Asymptotic
OmCheeto said:
A sheet or two of paper should shield alpha particles.
A thin sheet of glass or metal should shield beta particles.
Yes I know. That's why I said, "I had to have the detector really close, I guessing either beta or alpha". It appeared that the air was shielding particles as I couldn't detect one six inches away. I'm thinking, not only either alpha or beta particles but low energy ones at that. I'm no expert but I have worked a lot with 14C and Tritium.

jim hardy said:
"... Standard Alloy Company" tried alloying uranium with steel , they claimed success in their book "Uranium in Steel"
How cool you finding this.
jim hardy said:
Could your rivet date back to 1920's ?
I haven't looked into when/what year panel meters of this size we were being used. I got this when I was a kid; probably in the late '50, early '60s. So maybe it does date to the 1920's. Here's a picture of the coil assembly I removed before testing if that sheds any light on it's year.
movement.jpg

Well, this is a definite digression but Wikipedia has a section on Ferro-Uranium. They say post war Ferro-Uranium is made with depleted U.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrouranium

FerroUranium was still around at beginning of Manhattan project. The Russians bought around 400 pounds of Uranium salts allegedly for research into alloying it with steel. General Groves also approved a Russian export request for twenty five pounds of Uranium metal . He only did it to find out if there was anybody in US able to fill the order. His project was quietly buying up all the Uranium they could find.
https://books.google.com/books?id=e...nepage&q=how to identify ferrouranium&f=false

It wouldn't surprise me at all if during the war there was a bin of Ferro-Uranium rivets in a meter factory. A WW2 surplus meter would have been only twenty years old when you got that one.

So it's plausible.Thanks Don for an interesting diversion !

old jim

Likes dlgoff

Related to Meter Movement Magnet Activity: 600-800 CPM

1. What is the purpose of the "Meter Movement Magnet Activity: 600-800 CPM"?

The purpose of this activity is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and how it relates to the measurement of radiation. By using a magnet to influence the movement of a meter, students can visualize the concept of radioactive decay and how it is measured in counts per minute (CPM).

2. How does the meter movement magnet activity work?

The activity works by placing a radioactive source near a Geiger counter, which then detects the radiation and converts it into electrical pulses. These pulses are then amplified and sent to a meter, which moves in response to the pulses. By introducing a magnet near the meter, it can influence the movement and demonstrate the measurement of CPM.

3. What are the benefits of using this activity in a science classroom?

This activity allows students to visualize and understand the concept of radiation and how it is measured. It also provides a hands-on approach to learning about electromagnetism and the use of instruments to measure radiation. Additionally, it can spark interest in the fields of nuclear science and radiation protection.

4. Can this activity be modified for different levels of understanding?

Yes, this activity can be modified for different levels of understanding by adjusting the type and strength of the radioactive source and the sensitivity of the meter. It can also be used in conjunction with other activities to further explore the concept of radiation and its measurement.

5. Is this activity safe for students to participate in?

As long as proper safety precautions are taken, this activity is safe for students to participate in. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and use appropriate protective gear when handling radioactive sources. In addition, the use of a low-level radioactive source ensures that students are not exposed to harmful levels of radiation.