Meteorology: Turbulence/Dimensionless Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about understanding friction velocity, shear stress, momentum, and temperature scale in the context of MOST dimensionless analysis for turbulence. There is confusion about the meaning and calculations of friction velocity, shear stress, and the functions given for their calculation. There is also a question about the physical interpretations of these terms. The conversation ends with a thank you and a brief explanation of the no-slip boundary condition.
AppeltjeBosheuvel
Good afternoon,

I find it hard to understand friction velocity, shear stress, momentum and temperature scale. For a class, we are using MOST dimensionless analysis to find values of intensity for the turbulence. However, I'm struggling with the terms.

What exactly is friction velocity u*? My book only states it is a velocity scale.
I read online it is the same as shear velocity, when shear stress is rewritten in units of velocity (I assume so it is easier to make a dimensionless analysis later). But what exactly is shear stress though? Is is the stress of the resistance between a fast and slow moving air layer when it comes to turbulence? I find it hard to understand.

Functions given are u* = squareroot(surface shear stress)/density = squareroot(-u'w')
Where does the square root come from?

What exactly is T* temperature scale and q* moisture scale of water vapor?

I'm super confused. Thanks already!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the wonderful world of turbulence. Friction velocity (and similar scaling factors) don't always have meaningful physical interpretations. In this case, it's a velocity scale that is based on the wall shear stress. As far as I know, it has no other easily-parsed explanations.

Likes Bystander
Thank you :)

AppeltjeBosheuvel said:
Good afternoon,

I find it hard to understand friction velocity, shear stress, momentum and temperature scale. For a class, we are using MOST dimensionless analysis to find values of intensity for the turbulence. However, I'm struggling with the terms.

What exactly is friction velocity u*? My book only states it is a velocity scale.
I read online it is the same as shear velocity, when shear stress is rewritten in units of velocity (I assume so it is easier to make a dimensionless analysis later). But what exactly is shear stress though? Is is the stress of the resistance between a fast and slow moving air layer when it comes to turbulence? I find it hard to understand.

Functions given are u* = squareroot(surface shear stress)/density = squareroot(-u'w')
Where does the square root come from?

What exactly is T* temperature scale and q* moisture scale of water vapor?

I'm super confused. Thanks already!
The surface shear stress is not equal to ##\rho {u'w'}##.

Chestermiller said:
The surface shear stress is not equal to ##\rho {u'w'}##.

So what does that meam?

AppeltjeBosheuvel said:
So what does that meam?
It means that, because of the no-slip boundary condition, the velocity fluctuations at the surface are zero. So only the viscous stress is present at the surface.

Thank you

Related to Meteorology: Turbulence/Dimensionless Analysis

1. What is turbulence?

Turbulence is a chaotic and unpredictable state of fluid flow that is characterized by irregularities and fluctuations in velocity, pressure, and other physical quantities. In meteorology, turbulence can occur in the atmosphere due to variations in temperature, wind speed, and terrain.

2. What causes turbulence?

Turbulence is caused by a variety of factors, including wind shear, convection, and obstacles such as mountains or buildings. It can also be triggered by changes in atmospheric conditions, such as temperature and humidity.

3. How is turbulence measured?

Turbulence is measured using turbulence intensity, which is the ratio of the root mean square of the velocity fluctuations to the mean velocity. It can also be measured using eddy dissipation rate, which is the rate at which turbulent kinetic energy is dissipated.

4. What is dimensionless analysis in meteorology?

Dimensionless analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and model physical systems without considering specific units of measurement. In meteorology, it is used to study atmospheric phenomena and to develop equations that can be applied to different scales and conditions.

5. How is dimensionless analysis used in meteorology to study turbulence?

Dimensionless analysis is used in meteorology to study turbulence by creating dimensionless parameters that can be applied to different atmospheric conditions. These parameters, such as the Reynolds number and the Prandtl number, help to quantify and understand the behavior of turbulent flows in the atmosphere.