Metallurgy- Road Construction - linear equation

In summary, metallurgy is an important branch of science that deals with the properties and behavior of metals and their alloys. It is essential in road construction as it helps engineers select the appropriate materials for various road components, ensuring their strength and durability. Metals are used in road construction in different ways, such as reinforcing concrete, creating guardrails, and roofing materials. Linear equations are also used in road construction to determine slope and grade, and to calculate the quantity of materials needed. When selecting materials, engineers consider factors such as strength, durability, availability, cost, and environmental impact. Metallurgy has advanced road construction techniques by providing new alloys and coatings that improve durability and allow for the use of recycled materials, making road construction more sustainable.
paulmdrdo1
1. Metallurgy. How much pure gold should be melted with
15 grams of 14-karat gold to produce 18-karat gold?

2. Road Construction. A new machine that deposits cement
for a road requires 12 hours to complete a one-half mile section of road. An older machine requires 16 hours to pave the same amount of road. After depositing cement for 4 hours, the new machine develops a mechanical problem and quits working. The older machine is brought into place and continues the job. How long does it take the older machine to complete the job?

my attempt on 1st problem
x = amount of pure gold
$15\frac{14}{24}+x=\frac{18}{24}(15+x)$

x = 10 grams

for 2nd I get the correct answer but I'm not sure If I modeled the situation correctly.

$\frac{0.5}{12}\cdot 4+\frac{0.5}{16}\cdot x=0.5$

x = 10 and 2/3 hr.

can you give me a more straight forward method for problem 1 and 2. just for variety-of-method's sake.

thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
1. Metallurgy. How much pure gold should be melted with
15 grams of 14-karat gold to produce 18-karat gold?
my attempt on 1st problem
x = amount of pure gold
$15\frac{14}{24}+x=\frac{18}{24}(15+x)$

x = 10 grams
I agree.

paulmdrdo said:
2. Road Construction. A new machine that deposits cement
for a road requires 12 hours to complete a one-half mile section of road. An older machine requires 16 hours to pave the same amount of road. After depositing cement for 4 hours, the new machine develops a mechanical problem and quits working. The older machine is brought into place and continues the job. How long does it take the older machine to complete the job?
$\frac{0.5}{12}\cdot 4+\frac{0.5}{16}\cdot x=0.5$

x = 10 and 2/3 hr.
To help checking, it's good to say what $x$ represents. I assume it is the time it take the older machine to complete the job. Then $4/12$ is the part of the road completed by the new machine, and $x/16$ is the part completed by the old machine. Together they make up 1, i.e.,
\[
\frac{4}{12}+\frac{x}{16}=1.
\]
This equation is equivalent to yours, but I don't understand what 0.5 represents in your equation.

I would solve the second problem without equations. The part completed by the new machine is 4/12 = 1/3. The remaining part is 1 - 1/3 = 2/3. Therefore, the old machine has to work 16 * 2/3 = 10 2/3.

Related to Metallurgy- Road Construction - linear equation

1. What is metallurgy and why is it important in road construction?

Metallurgy is the branch of science that deals with the properties and behavior of metals and their alloys. In road construction, metallurgy is essential because it helps engineers select the appropriate materials for road components such as bridges, culverts, and drainage structures. Metallurgy also plays a crucial role in determining the strength and durability of these materials, ensuring the safety and longevity of road infrastructure.

2. How are metals used in road construction?

Metals are used in road construction in various ways. Steel is commonly used for reinforcing concrete in bridges and other structures. Aluminum is often used for guardrails and sign supports due to its lightweight and corrosion-resistant properties. Other metals, such as copper and zinc, are used in roofing materials for toll booths and rest areas.

3. How do linear equations relate to road construction?

Linear equations are used in road construction to determine the slope and grade of the road. Engineers use these equations to design roadways that are safe and efficient for drivers. Linear equations are also used to calculate the quantity of materials needed for construction, helping to minimize waste and reduce costs.

4. What factors are considered when selecting materials for road construction?

When selecting materials for road construction, engineers consider factors such as strength, durability, availability, and cost. They also consider the environmental impact of the materials and their ability to withstand heavy traffic and harsh weather conditions. Metallurgy plays a critical role in determining which materials will best meet these criteria.

5. How has metallurgy advanced road construction techniques?

Advancements in metallurgy have greatly improved road construction techniques. With the development of new alloys and coatings, engineers can now design roads that are more durable, resistant to corrosion, and able to withstand heavier loads. Metallurgy has also allowed for the use of recycled materials in road construction, making it a more sustainable and environmentally friendly process.