Meta Analysis with Several Regression Studies

In summary, Stephen is looking for a comprehensive reference that can teach him how to combine regression models for a problem that is not covered in any of his books. He is also interested in knowing if the case of two random variables is covered.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have come across a problem that I need to solve, and it isn't your garden variety regression problem. It isn't even covered in any of my books, of which I have many. I need either a book title or an online PDF that covers this material.

Suppose we have a response variable [itex]z_1[/itex] that depends on predictor variables [itex]x_1,x_2,...,x_n[/itex]. Further suppose that we have another response variable [itex]z_2[/itex] that depends on predictor variables [itex]y_1,y_2,...,y_m[/itex].

There are 4 studies to be synthesized.

In Study 1 a regression model [itex]z_1=\alpha_0+\alpha_1x_1+\alpha_2x_2+...+\alpha_nx_n[/itex] is obtained.
In Study 2 a regression model [itex]z_2=\beta_0+\beta_1y_1+\beta_2y_2+...+\beta_my_m[/itex] is obtained.
In Study 3 a correlation between [itex]z_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2[/itex] is obtained.
In Study 4 a correlation between [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex] is obtained.

The goal is to synthesize these studies to model [itex]z_1[/itex] as a function of [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex] only.

What's a good read to get going on this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are these regression models fit by considering both the z-variable and x-variables to be random variables? (e.g. total least squares regression as opposed to least squares regression?)

Are x1 and y1 the only random variables with a given estimated covariance ? - or do all pairs xj, yj have an estimate covariance?

Hi Stephen, thanks for replying.

Stephen Tashi said:
Are these regression models fit by considering both the z-variable and x-variables to be random variables? (e.g. total least squares regression as opposed to least squares regression?)

I'm dealing with multivariate least squares regression models.

Are x1 and y1 the only random variables with a given estimated covariance ? - or do all pairs xj, yj have an estimate covariance?

It's just the one pair of predictor variables for which I have an estimated covariance. But leaving that aside, what I really want to know is if there is a comprehensive reference from which I could learn how to combine regression models. It would be a bonus if both cases in your question were covered. Thanks!

Related to Meta Analysis with Several Regression Studies

What is meta-analysis with several regression studies?

Meta-analysis with several regression studies is a statistical method used to synthesize the results of multiple regression studies on a similar topic. It involves combining the data from these studies to produce a more comprehensive and robust analysis.

Why is meta-analysis with several regression studies useful?

Meta-analysis with several regression studies is useful because it allows for a more accurate and precise estimation of the effect of a particular variable on an outcome. By combining data from multiple studies, it increases the sample size and reduces the impact of random variation, resulting in more reliable conclusions.

What are the steps involved in conducting a meta-analysis with several regression studies?

The steps involved in conducting a meta-analysis with several regression studies include: 1) identifying relevant studies, 2) extracting data from these studies, 3) coding and organizing the data, 4) analyzing the data using statistical techniques, and 5) interpreting the results and drawing conclusions.

What are some potential limitations of meta-analysis with several regression studies?

Some potential limitations of meta-analysis with several regression studies include publication bias, where studies with positive results are more likely to be published, and the possibility of heterogeneity among the included studies, which can affect the validity of the results. It is also important to consider the quality and relevance of the included studies.

How can the results of meta-analysis with several regression studies be used in practice?

The results of meta-analysis with several regression studies can be used to inform decision making and guide future research. They can also be helpful in identifying patterns and relationships between variables, and providing evidence for the effectiveness of certain interventions or treatments.