Mesh currents, emfs, and resistances

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a problem involving a system of equations. They explain that they are using mesh currents to solve the problem and are unsure of how to use one of the given currents in the problem. After receiving some advice, they figure out their mistake and thank the person for their help.
madbo517
Howdy!

Looking for help with the following problem (#33). I found it easiest to take a picture of the problem statement and the figure and another of my work (I am working on learning LaTeX so I can write them neatly in posts, but until then, I hope a picture is sufficient).

I got the system of 3 formulas in the picture, but in all the practice ones we did, we were given V, in this problem we're given one of the currents, but I'm not sure how to use that in this problem.

I'm using mesh currents (ia, ib, and ic), because that's how these types of problems were explained to us, although I'm sure there are multiple methods to solve this problem.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• problem work.jpg
    problem work.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 57
  • problem statement better.jpg
    problem statement better.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
madbo517 said:
Howdy!

Looking for help with the following problem (#33). I found it easiest to take a picture of the problem statement and the figure and another of my work (I am working on learning LaTeX so I can write them neatly in posts, but until then, I hope a picture is sufficient).

I got the system of 3 formulas in the picture, but in all the practice ones we did, we were given V, in this problem we're given one of the currents, but I'm not sure how to use that in this problem.

I'm using mesh currents (ia, ib, and ic), because that's how these types of problems were explained to us, although I'm sure there are multiple methods to solve this problem.

Thanks for the help!

Hi madbo517! Welcome to MHB! :)

Your set of equations looks fine.

Next, use that $i_c = i_6$.

I like Serena said:
Hi madbo517! Welcome to MHB! :)

Your set of equations looks fine.

Next, use that $i_c = i_6$.

OH, of course!
Thank you so much!

So I used the fact that ic=i6, and started backtracking. I figured out what ib and ia were, and then finally that V = 8.3V. But the answer in the book says it is 48.3V.

What am I missing?

madbo517 said:
OH, of course!
Thank you so much!

So I used the fact that ic=i6, and started backtracking. I figured out what ib and ia were, and then finally that V = 8.3V. But the answer in the book says it is 48.3V.

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything.

I haven't checked your answer, but it's easy enough to verify if there is a calculation mistake.

What did you get for $i_a$ and $i_b$?
Fill them in in your equations and see if they are satisfied.

I like Serena said:
You're not missing anything.

I haven't checked your answer, but it's easy enough to verify if there is a calculation mistake.

What did you get for $i_a$ and $i_b$?
Fill them in in your equations and see if they are satisfied.
Duh - I got it! Was a silly calculator mistake.

Thank you so much!

Related to Mesh currents, emfs, and resistances

1. What are mesh currents?

Mesh currents are the currents that flow through individual loops in a circuit. They are used to simplify the analysis of complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, easier to solve parts.

2. How do you calculate mesh currents?

To calculate mesh currents, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) which states that the sum of all voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources. By setting up equations using KVL for each loop in the circuit, you can solve for the unknown mesh currents.

3. What is an EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage produced by a source, such as a battery, in a circuit. It is measured in volts and can be thought of as the driving force that pushes current through a circuit.

4. How do you calculate EMF?

The EMF can be calculated by multiplying the current passing through the circuit by the total resistance of the circuit. This can be represented by the equation: EMF = I x R, where I is the current and R is the resistance.

5. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is represented by the symbol Ω. The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for electric current to flow through the circuit.