Mesh analysis and power dissipation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the power dissipation in a circuit, specifically in part c of question one. The individual mentions attaching their solutions for parts a and b and asks for confirmation on their correctness. They also mention getting a large number when calculating the power dissipation of each component and adding them up. The solution involves finding the current in each branch, calculating the power dissipated by each resistor, and then showing that the sum of the power dissipated equals the sum of the power delivered by the voltage sources.
Andriy B
Hi I'm taking an intro course to electrical and computer engineering and I'm having trouble figuring out part c of number one. I have attached a copy of my solutions to parts a and b which I believe are right (correct me if I'm wrong please) however when I calculate the power dissipation of each component and add them up I get a large number. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Matlab_HW_2.pdf
    199.6 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0300 (1).JPG
    IMG_0300 (1).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 723
Engineering news on Phys.org
" Determine the power dissipation of each component and show that the sum of the power dissipated equals zero "

Somebody was drunk while writting that assignement ? Dissipative components in that mesh are resistors. Sum of powers dissipated in them must be equal to sum of powers delivered by voltage sources.

So what's the correct way to solve part c?

After you find current of each branch, calculate power dissipated by every resistor (PR=IR2R).Sum these powers up to find total power dissipated in network. Power contribution of voltage source calculate as PS=Vs⋅I, where I is current through the source (pay attention to voltage source orientation and current flowing through it, depending on network parameters it may be negative). Then show that ∑PR= ∑PS holds

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your solutions to parts a and b. It looks like you have a good understanding of mesh analysis so far. For part c, it is important to remember that power dissipation is the amount of energy that is converted to heat by a component. This means that you need to use the voltage and current values for each component to calculate the power dissipation.

To calculate the power dissipation for a component, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. So for each component, you would multiply the voltage across it by the current through it. Then, you can add up all the individual power dissipation values to get the total power dissipation for the circuit.

It is also important to note that power dissipation is often measured in watts (W) or milliwatts (mW), not just in numbers. So if you are getting a large number, it could be because you are not using the correct units. Make sure to check your calculations and use the correct units to get the correct answer.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of power dissipation for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Mesh analysis and power dissipation

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a circuit analysis method used to calculate the current and voltage in a circuit by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law. It involves dividing a circuit into smaller loops, or meshes, and solving for the current in each mesh.

2. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Mesh analysis and nodal analysis are both methods used to analyze circuits. The main difference between them is that mesh analysis is based on KVL, while nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). In mesh analysis, the circuit is divided into loops, while in nodal analysis, it is divided into nodes.

3. What is the purpose of power dissipation in a circuit?

Power dissipation is the process of converting electrical energy into heat. In a circuit, power dissipation is important because it helps determine the efficiency of the circuit and ensures that components do not overheat and malfunction.

4. How is power dissipation calculated in a circuit?

Power dissipation can be calculated using Ohm's Law (P = I^2R) or by using the formula P = VI, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. In a circuit, power dissipation can also be calculated by adding the individual power dissipation of each component in the circuit.

5. Can power dissipation be reduced in a circuit?

Yes, power dissipation can be reduced in a circuit by using components with lower resistance values, using components with higher voltage ratings, and by reducing the current flowing through the circuit. Additionally, using efficient circuit design techniques can also help reduce power dissipation in a circuit.