Merry go round Rotation Problem

• Thread starter KTiaam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the merry-go-round rotates clockwise 15 times in 45 seconds, meaning it makes 1/3 of a revolution in 1 second and one complete revolution in 3 seconds. The initial angular velocity is 2/3 pi radians and the angular acceleration is 0.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

A merry - go - round rotates clockwise 15 times in 45 seconds. By rubbing against its edge, a child stop it from turning in 15 seconds.

a) find its initial angular velocity (ω)
b) find its angular acceleration ([itex]\alpha[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

15 times in 45 seconds means:

in 1 second it makes 1/3 of a revolution

thus in 3 seconds it make on complete revolution

im not sure if I am going in the right direction but Angular Velocity is in radians per second.

Am i on the right track? Do i just take the reciprocal of my answer? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You found that it makes 1/3 revolution per second. Can you convert 1/3 revolution to radians?

TSny said:
You found that it makes 1/3 revolution per second. Can you convert 1/3 revolution to radians?

2/3 pi radians?

Yes.

I would suggest approaching this problem using the equation for angular velocity, which is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, Δθ is the change in angle in radians, and Δt is the change in time in seconds. In this case, we know that in 45 seconds, the merry-go-round rotates 15 times, which means it rotates 15*2π = 30π radians. Therefore, the initial angular velocity can be calculated as:

ω = (30π radians)/(45 seconds) = 2π/3 radians per second

For the second part of the problem, we can use the equation for angular acceleration, which is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration in radians per second squared and Δω is the change in angular velocity in radians per second. In this case, we know that the child stops the merry-go-round from rotating in 15 seconds, which means that the final angular velocity is 0 radians per second. Therefore, the angular acceleration can be calculated as:

α = (0 radians per second - 2π/3 radians per second)/(15 seconds) = -2π/45 radians per second squared

This negative value indicates that the merry-go-round is decelerating. I hope this helps!

Related to Merry go round Rotation Problem

1. What is the Merry go round Rotation Problem?

The Merry go round Rotation Problem is a physics problem that explores the relationship between rotational motion and centripetal force. It involves a rotating platform (merry go round) and a person standing on it, and examines the forces acting on the person as the platform rotates.

2. What factors affect the rotation of the merry go round?

The rotation of the merry go round is affected by the mass of the platform, the speed of rotation, and the distance of the person from the center of the platform. These factors all influence the centripetal force acting on the person.

3. How does the centripetal force change as the speed of rotation increases?

As the speed of rotation increases, the centripetal force also increases. This is because the greater the speed, the greater the force needed to keep the person moving in a circular path.

4. What is the relationship between the centripetal force and the distance of the person from the center of the platform?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the distance of the person from the center of the platform. This means that the farther the person is from the center, the greater the force needed to keep them rotating at a constant speed.

5. How does the Merry go round Rotation Problem relate to real-life situations?

The Merry go round Rotation Problem can help us understand the forces involved in circular motion, which can be seen in many real-life situations such as carousel rides, spinning rides at amusement parks, and even the Earth's rotation around the sun. It also has practical applications in designing and engineering rotating structures and vehicles.