Mentoring Tips: Benefits of Learning Through Discussion & Debate

• Thread starter jeff
  • Start date
In summary, mentors should avoid instantly providing "the correct answer" in order to allow less knowledgeable members to benefit from learning through discussion and debate. This is emphasized in Integral's "sticky" intro in the Physics section. It is important to distinguish between someone asking a homework question and someone genuinely seeking to understand the details. The goal is to encourage discussions and everyone's perspective may differ. Some commonly used acronyms, such as YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), may be handy to have in a list for easy reference.
jeff
Science Advisor
Mentors should keep in mind that instantly supplying "the correct answer" can cut down opportunities for less knowledgeable members to benefit from the special advantages of learning through discussion and debate.

Physics news on Phys.org
That point is in Integral's "sticky" intro in the Physics section... the point that they do NOT instantly do that...

After that, everyones human...at least once...twice...well, play Ball!

I agree with you Jeff, I think all of us do :)

The trick is to distinguish between someone who is asking a homework question and someone who really wants to know the details.

I certainly agree, jeff. We're here to encourage discussions. YMMV.

Can you provide some specific examples where we have done "the wrong thing?"

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
Can you provide some specific examples where we have done "the wrong thing?"

I didn't accuse mentors of doing anything wrong. It was just a personal opinion I thought was worth posting.

Originally posted by Phobos
I certainly agree, jeff. We're here to encourage discussions. YMMV.
"YMMV"[?]

Your mileage may vary

Originally posted by enigma
Your mileage may vary
Good grief. ANOTHER one to try to remember... Can someone make up a 'sticky' list with their meanings for these goofy things? :wink:

Related to Mentoring Tips: Benefits of Learning Through Discussion & Debate

1. What are the benefits of learning through discussion and debate?

There are several benefits to learning through discussion and debate, including improved critical thinking skills, increased knowledge retention, and the ability to see different perspectives on a topic.

2. How can discussion and debate enhance the learning experience?

Discussion and debate can enhance the learning experience by promoting active learning, encouraging students to engage with the material and each other, and fostering a sense of collaboration and teamwork.

3. What are some tips for facilitating effective discussions and debates in a mentoring setting?

Some tips for facilitating effective discussions and debates in a mentoring setting include setting ground rules for respectful communication, asking thought-provoking questions, and actively listening to all participants.

4. Can discussion and debate be beneficial for both mentors and mentees?

Yes, discussion and debate can be beneficial for both mentors and mentees. Mentors can learn from their mentees' perspectives and insights, and mentees can benefit from the mentor's knowledge and experience.

5. How can mentors encourage participation and engagement in discussions and debates?

Mentors can encourage participation and engagement in discussions and debates by creating a safe and inclusive environment, providing prompts or guiding questions, and giving positive feedback and reinforcement.