Mentioning RSS feeds in my class

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It is a way of subscribing to feeds, which will automatically update whenever the content on the feed changes.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They keep mentioning RSS feeds in my class (we've just started learning XML) but have never really explained what they are and why they are useful/interesting/cool/whatever. Could someone tell me a little bit about them and suggest where I might go to look at one? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. I don't know the all the technical details behind it, but in simple terms, it let's you subscribe to feeds. If you're using Firefox, Opera or IE 7, you can see an orange icon at the right end of the address bar when a particular site offers RSS feeds. All you need to do is to click and add the link to your bookmarks. Whenever the content of the site is updated, your bookmarks are also updated. PF offers RSS feeds, and so do numerous other sites, including blogs.Take NYT's site for example. Whenever a news article is uplodaded, your bookmark will be updated with that article in a few minutes. You can either use a standalone/Firefox extension reader or simply use use Firefox's built-in feature to subscribe to RSS feeds. A standalone reader may have the abillity to alert the user when a the feed is updated. Hope that helped.

Last edited:
With RSS you make site content available in XML format, so it's easily used by third party apps or sites.

For example, maybe you have a site that has the latest Physics News whose headlines i'd like to put in my site. With RSS i can capture that information in a standard way, which doesn't change (too much) so my site is always pulling the Headlines in a correct way.

Without RSS i would have to parse the HTML directly, which is volatile and changes everytime you redo your site, not to mention is harder to parse and includes undesired formatting tags.

Last edited:
Thanks. My first assignment is to create an RSS document. I'm confused because I thought I was going to create something to hold dynamically updated content, but from the directions, it looks like I am just doing static coding.
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jspencer/40a.1.07s/40a.1.07s_hw1.html
Maybe this is just to get us started?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mentioning RSS feeds in my class

What is an RSS feed?

An RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed is a web feed that allows users to access updates from websites or blogs in a standardized format. It allows users to stay updated on new content without having to visit the website.

How can mentioning RSS feeds benefit my class?

Mentioning RSS feeds in your class can benefit your students by keeping them updated on new information and resources related to your subject. It can also teach them how to use technology to organize and access information efficiently.

Are RSS feeds accessible on all devices?

Yes, RSS feeds can be accessed on all devices including computers, smartphones, and tablets. There are also many RSS reader apps and websites available for easy access.

Do I need to know coding to use RSS feeds?

No, you do not need to know coding to use RSS feeds. Most websites and blogging platforms have built-in RSS feed capabilities, and there are also many user-friendly RSS reader apps and websites available.

Can I create my own RSS feed?

Yes, you can create your own RSS feed for your website or blog. There are various tools and services available to help you create and manage your own RSS feed.