Memristor is really fourth circuit element or not?

In summary, the conversation is about the existence of a circuit element called memristor. The speaker is wondering if it is accepted by the scientific community and how it differs from other circuit elements like resistors, inductors, and capacitors. Another person in the conversation confirms that memristors are real, but questions the label of "fourth circuit element" as it is arbitrary. They also mention that there are other elements with non-electronic interactions and non-linear properties. The speaker thanks the other person for their input.
kocthu
Hello friends and genius,
I have heard about the missing circuit element which is called memristor. I want to know is it real or the whole world accept that creation of memristor as a fourth circuit element? I was confused about that because in my opinion, memristor is a branch of resistor. If it is a real circuit element, how about Light dependend resistor (LDR), Thyristor, Thermistor and it should have it's own name such as resistor, inductor or capacitor. please give me some advice about memristor :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Memristors are real.
Calling it "fourth circuit element" is a bit arbitrary. It is easy to invent things like a "memductor" (inductance depends on charge flown).
Light- and temperature-dependent things have non-electronic interactions with the environment and many other parts are not linear.

Thank you very much mfb, I got your point

Related to Memristor is really fourth circuit element or not?

1. Is Memristor really a fourth circuit element?

Yes, Memristor is considered to be the fourth circuit element, joining the ranks of resistor, capacitor, and inductor.

2. What makes Memristor different from the other three circuit elements?

Unlike resistors, capacitors, and inductors, Memristor has the ability to remember its resistance even after the power is turned off. This unique characteristic allows it to act as a "memory element" in electronic circuits.

3. How does Memristor work?

Memristor works by changing its resistance in response to the voltage or current applied to it. When a positive voltage is applied, its resistance increases, and when a negative voltage is applied, its resistance decreases. This behavior is reversible and can be controlled by the amount of charge that passes through the Memristor.

4. What are the potential applications of Memristor?

Memristor has a wide range of potential applications, including memory storage, logic circuits, and neuromorphic computing. It can also be used in sensors, signal processing, and analog circuits.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using Memristor?

While Memristor has many promising applications, it is still a relatively new technology and there are some challenges and limitations to consider. These include manufacturing difficulties, reliability issues, and the need for specialized circuit design. However, ongoing research and development are addressing these challenges and making Memristor a more viable option for future electronic devices.