Melting Lead in a Kiln: How Long Will it Take?

In summary, a girl needs to melt 2kg of lead stored at 55 degrees F to a molten state using a kiln at 617.5 degrees F. The constants for lead and steel are given, but there is not enough information to determine the time it will take to melt the lead.
itr

Homework Statement

A girl wishes to make a lead casting of an object which will require 2kg of melted lead. if the lead was stored in her basement at approximately 55 degrees F, and it is melted to a 1/4" thick steel pot of approximate cross sectional area of 12in^2, how long will it take to melt the lead if its placed in a kiln at 617.5 degrees F, the melting point of lead?

Homework Equations

Q=mc delta t
Q=mc

Constants for lead: Lf=.25E5 J/kg Lv=8.7E5 J/kg c=130J/kgCelsius
Constants for steel: k=40 J/s times m times Celsius

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=2(130)(562.5)
Q=1.46E5
Qv=2(8.7E5)
Qv=1.74E6
Qf=2(.25E5
Qf=50000

Not sure where else to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
A long one to go on this I am afraid. First off your data is in Fahrenheit and your constants in celcius. What course is this--i'm thinking you have overall energy requirements posted above, but nothing about how fast the process will occur.

oh man...the temp units are off. a complicated problem you loose track of the basics...

I gave all of the info that i have...and its for my calc based physics class

Thats reassuring. To solve this will require some math. There should be some coefficient of heat transfer, etc.Not sure what Lf and all the other constants represent, the only one that I see which has a time dimension is the last.

lf=latent heat of fusion
lv=latent heat of vaportation?

Sorry, I'm not sure I can help. Someone else may be able to.

You're given a mass of lead and the shape it will become. You also know the lead is just melted and not vaporized, so know need to worry about lv. I believe the temp of the steel can be assumed to be constant, so you know exactly the number of calories it will take to make 2 Kg of solid lead to molten lead. You're given a bunch more info, but nothing else? Take an example with water--you take a liter of very cold ice and dump it into a steel pot at 0 degrees--don't you need to know something about the shape of ice block and NOT the pot, as well as rate of heat transfer. Wish I could help more, problem just doesn't have enough info imo.

it is alright, thank you for attempting though..

Any other thoughts?

=[...

itr said:
Any other thoughts?

Wish I had.

Related to Melting Lead in a Kiln: How Long Will it Take?

1. How long does it take for lead to melt in a kiln?

The amount of time it takes for lead to melt in a kiln can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of kiln, the temperature, and the amount of lead being melted. Generally, lead melts at around 621.5°F (327.5°C) and can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to fully melt in a kiln.

2. What is the best temperature for melting lead in a kiln?

The best temperature for melting lead in a kiln is typically between 621.5°F and 700°F (327.5°C and 371.1°C). This temperature range allows for the lead to melt without overheating and potentially causing fumes or other safety hazards. It is important to carefully monitor the temperature throughout the melting process.

3. Can I use any type of kiln to melt lead?

No, not all kilns are suitable for melting lead. It is important to use a kiln that can reach temperatures of at least 621.5°F (327.5°C) and has a heat-resistant lining, such as a ceramic or firebrick lining. Additionally, the kiln should have proper ventilation to prevent the buildup of fumes.

4. How do I know when the lead is fully melted?

The lead will be fully melted when it has reached a smooth, liquid consistency with no visible solid pieces remaining. You can also use a thermometer to check the temperature, as it should be around 621.5°F (327.5°C) for lead to be fully melted.

5. Is it safe to melt lead in a kiln?

Melting lead in a kiln can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and a respirator, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also crucial to carefully monitor the temperature and to never leave the kiln unattended while melting lead.