Medical Physics Career: Advice on Classes & Programs

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing a career in medical physics and their past education in business. They inquire about the recommended courses for a master's program in medical physics and ask for suggestions on schools with good programs. The response advises checking the CAMPEP website for program prerequisites and suggests that a CAMPEP accredited program should be the first choice. They also mention a list of recommended courses and the possibility of future requirements for board certification. The individual expresses gratitude for the list provided.
starchild75
I am considering medical physics for a career. I got a two year degree in business about 10 years ago, and I have looked around at programs on the internet. Some masters programs recommend taking organic chemistry as an undergrad student. Others just say you have to take a certain number of physics classes. Can you give me your opinions on what classes to take, and also which schools have good masters programs.

thanks

starchild75

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106714"

If you check the websites for the programs listed in the CAMPEP website, they should provide a list of the prerequisites, or at least a contact person you can talk to about course prerequisites. That will be your best bet to figure out what courses you need to take. Requirements will vary from program to program, but generally you will need at least EM, nuclear physics, mechanics, anatomy, physiology, stats, some linear algebra, and a little QM. A course in electronics probably wouldn't hurt either.

A CAMPEP accredited program should be your first choice. I expect in the not so distant future the ABR will make it a requirement for taking the board certification exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for that list. I have been looking for such a list, just to even know what schools offer a graduate program.

Related to Medical Physics Career: Advice on Classes & Programs

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the diagnosis and treatment of various medical conditions. It involves the use of ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, as well as advanced imaging techniques, to help diagnose and treat diseases.

2. What kind of classes should I take to pursue a career in medical physics?

To pursue a career in medical physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and biology. Some recommended classes include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, radiobiology, anatomy, and medical imaging. It is also beneficial to take classes in computer science and programming, as these skills are becoming increasingly important in the field.

3. Are there specific programs or degrees for medical physics?

Yes, there are specific programs and degrees for medical physics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. These programs are typically offered through physics or medical physics departments and may lead to a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, or Doctor of Philosophy degree in medical physics. It is important to choose a program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP).

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for medical physicists?

Medical physicists can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles for medical physicists include radiation oncologist, diagnostic medical physicist, and nuclear medicine physicist. With additional training and experience, medical physicists can also become educators, consultants, or researchers.

5. How can I best prepare for a career in medical physics?

In addition to taking relevant classes and completing a degree program in medical physics, it is important to gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities. It is also beneficial to network with professionals in the field and attend conferences and workshops to stay updated on advancements in the field. Additionally, obtaining certification from the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or the American Board of Medical Physics (ABMP) can demonstrate expertise and enhance job prospects.