Medical physicist from Canada to US

In summary: It's not unheard of for new grads to get a job because their former professor knows someone who knows someone.In summary, as a new graduate with an MSc in medical physics from a CAMPEP accredited program, residency and CCMP certification, and over five years of experience, it can be challenging to find a job in Canada. The job market in the United States is also competitive. Some strategies for job hunting include networking at conferences, reaching out to head hunters, considering locum or temporary work, and reaching out to connections in the field. These methods can help to increase your chances of finding a job in the competitive field of medical physics.
geom
I'm brand new to the forum, but have read all medphys treads I could find before signing up. I'm Canadian, with an MSc in medical physics from a CAMPEP accredited program, also residency and CCMP certification, plus more than five years experience in a large university hospital.
I'm ready to move on to a new job, but I find it hard to get another job in Canada with an MSc.
I know the job market south of the border is somewhat saturated now. Can anyone please advise me what would be the best strategy to start job hunting? Applying for job postings landed me one interview so far, but not a job offer.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the "best" strategy but here are a few ideas...

1. Network at conferences. The AAPM meeting, for example, usually has a CV wall and job board. It's also an opportunity to talk with the people who are in positions to do hiring. Always have your business card and CV ready.

2. There are several head hunters that specialize in medical physics. You could try getting in touch with them. Some examples...
http://cancercarepoint.com/index.html
http://www.rushsearchpartners.com/
http://www.deaconrecruiting.com/

3. Don't be afraid to do locum or temporary work. Lots of places will hire someone to assist with commissioning a new linac, to cover a maternity leave, or simply to cover vacation for a centres that only have one physicist. This is one of the best ways to get your foot in the door and give you an idea if a particular centre is a good fit for you.

4. Start calling or emailing your friends in the field. Medical physics is a small community and most physicists will know of available positions well before a job is advertised at their own centre. And people talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Medical physicist from Canada to US

1. What is the process for becoming a medical physicist in the US as a Canadian?

The process for becoming a medical physicist in the US as a Canadian typically involves obtaining a work visa or permanent residency, completing a medical physics residency program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP), and passing the American Board of Radiology (ABR) exam.

2. Are my qualifications and experience as a medical physicist in Canada recognized in the US?

Yes, in most cases, your qualifications and experience as a medical physicist in Canada will be recognized in the US. However, you may need to complete additional training or exams to meet the specific requirements of the state in which you plan to practice.

3. Can I work in any state as a medical physicist in the US?

Each state has its own requirements for medical physicists, so it is important to research the specific state in which you plan to work. Some states may require additional training or exams, while others may have a reciprocity agreement with your Canadian qualifications.

4. How does the salary for medical physicists in Canada compare to the US?

The salary for medical physicists in Canada and the US can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and employer. Generally, the average salary for medical physicists is higher in the US compared to Canada.

5. Are there any differences in the scope of practice for medical physicists in Canada and the US?

The scope of practice for medical physicists in Canada and the US is similar, but there may be some differences in regulations and protocols. It is important to familiarize yourself with the specific regulations and guidelines of the state in which you plan to practice.