Mechanism to Prevent Mass Increase from Information Dumping into Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of encoding information in a light beam and putting a black hole in its path. It is noted that the mass and information of the black hole increase as the beam is absorbed, but there may be a mechanism in cases where the black hole is moving very fast parallel to the beam. This leads to a discussion of viewing the system in a frame of reference where the black hole is stationary, and the implications of a low density of energy and information in the beam. It is suggested that finite information capacity must be a consequence of quantum gravity, but there is no agreed upon theory of quantum gravity to fully explain this. Finally, there is a suggestion that the light pulse may expand and some photons may miss the black hole
jartsa
Let's say I encode all the information in some book in a light beam. Then I put a black hole in the way of the beam. Mass and information of the black hole increase as the beam plunges in the black hole.

But what if the black hole is moving very fast parallel to the beam? In this case the rest mass of the black hole may increase very little as the beam goes into the black hole.

There must be some mechanism that prevents us to dump information into a black hole without increasing its mass by a sufficient amount.

So what might the mechanism be in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
jartsa said:
But what if the black hole is moving very fast parallel to the beam? In this case the rest mass of the black hole may increase very little as the beam goes into the black hole.
In this case it is natural to view the system in the frame of reference in which the black hole does not move. In this frame the beam still travels with the velocity of light, but it has a very long wavelength. The long wavelength implies two things: i) that the beam has a low density of energy, and ii) that the beam has a low density of information. I think that i) and ii) together answer your question.

Demystifier said:
In this case it is natural to view the system in the frame of reference in which the black hole does not move. In this frame the beam still travels with the velocity of light, but it has a very long wavelength. The long wavelength implies two things: i) that the beam has a low density of energy, and ii) that the beam has a low density of information. I think that i) and ii) together answer your question.
I don't see how that answers the question.

By choosing a suitable frame, energy of a light pulse can be as low as desired. But entropy of said light pulse is the same in all frames. If a small black hole absorbs a light pulse with high entropy and low energy, we have a problem of entropy decreasing in the universe.

Last edited:
jartsa said:
I don't see how that answers the question.

By choosing a suitable frame, energy of a light pulse can be as low as desired. But entropy of said light pulse is the same in all frames. If a small black hole absorbs a light pulse with high entropy and low energy, we have a problem.
If you make the pulse to have a very small energy, it will have a very large wavelength. If the wavelength is larger than the size of the black hole, then the black hole cannot absorb it. I think this is the mechanism you are looking for.

Demystifier said:
If you make the pulse to have a very small energy, it will have a very large wavelength. If the wavelength is larger than the size of the black hole, then the black hole cannot absorb it. I think this is the mechanism you are looking for.

Maybe but what about gravitational blue shift of the pulse of light as it approaches the black hole?

jartsa said:
Maybe but what about gravitational blue shift of the pulse of light as it approaches the black hole?
Good question!

Let us recall that we are trying to explain why the black hole of given mass has a finite information capacity. But a classical black hole, described by a classical continuous field theory, has an infinite information capacity. Indeed, your thought experiment nicely demonstrates it. So finite information capacity must be a consequence of quantum gravity. However, since we do not have a unique and complete theory of quantum gravity, we also do not have a unique and complete answer to your question. At best, we may have a partial answer based on some particular theory of quantum gravity. And we do not know which particular theory of quantum gravity, if any, is the correct one.

So, is there some particular theory of quantum gravity which you would favor in this case?

Demystifier said:
So, is there some particular theory of quantum gravity which you would favor in this case?

No, I don't have a favorite quantum gravity theory.

Hey I got an idea: In the frame of the black hole the light pulse is long, so it has time to expand before being completely absorbed, so some photons miss the black hole, and those photons missing the target contain more entropy - their directions differ more than those photon's directions that hit the target.

Demystifier said:
a classical black hole, described by a classical continuous field theory, has an infinite information capacity

Anything described by a classical continuous field theory has infinite information capacity. To talk about finite information capacity at all, you have to use quantum mechanics.

Likes Demystifier

Related to Mechanism to Prevent Mass Increase from Information Dumping into Black Holes

What is the "Mechanism to Prevent Mass Increase from Information Dumping into Black Holes"?

The "Mechanism to Prevent Mass Increase from Information Dumping into Black Holes" is a theoretical concept that aims to address the issue of the increasing mass of black holes due to the information that is dumped into them. It proposes a mechanism that would prevent this mass increase and preserve the information that enters the black hole.

Why is it important to prevent mass increase from information dumping into black holes?

Preventing mass increase from information dumping into black holes is important because it allows for the conservation of information. In the current understanding of physics, information cannot be destroyed, so finding a way to preserve it in the face of black holes is crucial.

How does the proposed mechanism work?

The proposed mechanism suggests that the event horizon of a black hole could act as a "one-way membrane," allowing information to enter but not escape. This would prevent the mass of the black hole from increasing, as the information would not be able to contribute to its mass.

What challenges are involved in implementing this mechanism?

One of the main challenges in implementing this mechanism is the lack of a comprehensive theory that fully explains the physics of black holes and the behavior of information within them. Additionally, testing and verifying the effectiveness of this mechanism would require advanced technology and experimentation.

What are the potential implications of this mechanism?

If this mechanism is successfully implemented, it could have significant implications for our understanding of black holes and the conservation of information. It could also open up new possibilities for studying these enigmatic objects and their role in the universe.