Mechanism for reporting moderator abuse?

• Thread starter wbeaty
  • Start date
In summary, the thread in question was about moderator actions and the owner of the site was contacted about it. The moderator replied by deleting the post and stating that it's not a bug, it's a feature. The user is concerned about the lack of a way to address moderator misbehavior.
wbeaty
Is there a web form for "Complaint about moderator behavior" somewhere? Your moderator "Integral", rather than apologizing for a personal insult, declared my strongly-worded objection to his behavior as "off topic" and deleted it. Hmmmm. I'm a new user. Is this site moderated by flamers? Aren't there any checks and balances? Apparently not. I can't find them.

What should I do next? I've found no form for "complaint about moderator misbehavior" anywhere on this site, nor any way to contact a site owner.

Thread in question:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10509

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not moderated by flamers. It's moderated by people who attempt to keep discussions civil and on-topic.

The owner of the site is Greg Bernhardt. His profile is https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1.

You can PM him, email him, or even catch him on AIM for a chat.

Don't be terribly surprised if he agrees with the actions taken by his moderators.

- Warren

Use the "Report this post to a mentor" link. For some reason sometimes mentors don't receive the message, but I will receive it so use it anyway.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Use the "Report this post to a mentor" link. For some reason sometimes mentors don't receive the message, but I will receive it so use it anyway.
It's not a bug, it's a feature, right?

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
It's not a bug, it's a feature, right?

- Warren

Well the feature it, but there seems to be a bug where sometimes the mentor doesn't get the alert, however I always get a copy.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt

DOH!

I assumed that such messages would go to the moderator on the thread where the offending message appeared: to "Integral," the very person whose behavior I was complaining about.

Since he earlier censored the complaint I posted to that thread, I had no doubt at all that my message to "report this post" would vanish for very non-mysterious reasons if they were sent to him.

Steps you can take...
(1) PM/email the mentor with whom you disagree
(2) "report this post to the mentor link"
(3) PM/email Greg (site owner)
(4) state your concern in a new topic in this "feedback" forum if you want to make it public to all PF members (starting a sidebar disagreement in an ongoing topic can be seen as getting off-topic...you could start a topic here in feedback, provide a link to the topic in question...and then state your concern about the mentor action)

In general, it works best to first approach the mentor via PM. If that does not satisfy you, then take it to Greg or this feedback forum.

Related to Mechanism for reporting moderator abuse?

1. What is a "mechanism for reporting moderator abuse"?

A mechanism for reporting moderator abuse is a system put in place by a website or online platform to allow users to report any actions or behavior by a moderator that they believe is abusive or violates the website's terms of service.

2. How does the reporting process work?

The specific process may vary depending on the website or platform, but generally, users can submit a report through a designated form or email address. The report should include details about the incident, such as the date and time, the moderator involved, and any evidence or screenshots that support the claim of abuse.

3. Who should I report moderator abuse to?

Most websites or platforms will have a dedicated team or department responsible for handling reports of moderator abuse. This information can usually be found in the website's terms of service or community guidelines. If you are unsure, you can reach out to the website's customer support for guidance.

4. What happens after I submit a report?

Once a report is submitted, it will be reviewed by the designated team or department. They will investigate the incident and determine if any action needs to be taken. This could include a warning, disciplinary action, or removing the moderator from their role.

5. Will my report be kept confidential?

Most websites or platforms will keep the reporter's identity confidential, unless they need to contact the reporter for further information or clarification. However, it is always best to check the website's policies on confidentiality before submitting a report.