Mechanics problem in a non-inertial system

In summary, the problem suggests to analyse it in a system attached to the wedge. If mass m ball is slipping upwards then it would have an acceleration along the wedge pointing upwards (in the suggested system). The forces acting on that ball would be the weight, a normal and a force due to the acceleration of the system. If the acceleration of the wedge is ##a=g## tan## α## then the mass m ball is at rest on that system, if the acceleration is bigger it slips upwards.
RoloJosh16
Homework Statement
This is problem ##26## from Jaan kalda mechanics booklet of study guides for ipho.

A wedge has been made out of a very light and slippery material. Its upper surface consists of two slopes making an angle ##α## with the horizontal and inclined towards one another. The block is situated on a horizontal plane; a ball with mass m lies at the bottom of the hole on its upper surface. Another ball with mass M is placed higher than the first ball and the system is released. On what condition will the small ball with mass m start slipping upwards along the slope? Friction can be neglected.
Relevant Equations
Non inertial mechanics
1582999948630.png

Well, the problem suggests to analyse it in a system attached to the wedge. If mass m ball is slipping upwards then it would have an acceleration along the wedge pointing upwards (in the suggested system). The forces acting on that ball would be the weight, a normal and a force due to the acceleration of the system. If the acceleration of the wedge is ##a=g ## tan## α## then the mass m ball is at rest on that system, if the acceleration is bigger it slips upwards. But I do not know how to relate that with the other ball. That is all I have. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is that the wedge has an acceleration?

The wedge moves freely on the surface. The normal forces acting on the wedge accelerates it.

Likes phinds and Lnewqban
RoloJosh16 said:
The normal forces acting on the wedge accelerates it.
Yes. Can you work out expressions for the normal forces?

Likes Lnewqban
If the acceleration of the wedge is ##a> g## tan ##α## (that is the condition for the mass m to slip upwards I think) then ##N_m= ma## sen ## α + mg## cos ##α## and ##N_M = Mg ## cos ##α - Ma## sen ##α##.

RoloJosh16 said:
If the acceleration of the wedge is ##a> g## tan ##α## (that is the condition for the mass m to slip upwards I think) then ##N_m= ma## sen ## α + mg## cos ##α## and ##N_M = Mg ## cos ##α - Ma## sen ##α##.
That looks correct to me. What next?

I´ d like to relate those forces to the acceleration of the wedge, but I do not know its mass.

My statement of the minimum acceleration is correct?

I think you can interpret "very light material" to mean that you can take the wedge to be massless.

Ahhh thank you I already found the answer with that. When thinking about this problem I thought that there had to happen some time since the ball is placed in top of the wedge until the wedge acquires the needed acceleration but would it not be strange that acquires it immediately?

RoloJosh16 said:
Ahhh thank you I already found the answer with that.
Good.

When thinking about this problem I thought that there had to happen some time since the ball is placed in top of the wedge until the wedge acquires the needed acceleration but would it not be strange that acquires it immediately?
I think it's OK that the acceleration is "immediate". If you place a block on a fixed, frictionless incline, the block immediately acquires its acceleration down the slope.

Though in this case it is like a combined acceleration. The acceleration of the masses depend on the acceleration of the wedge and both would accelerate immediately to the needed value.

RoloJosh16 said:
Though in this case it is like a combined acceleration. The acceleration of the masses depend on the acceleration of the wedge and both would accelerate immediately to the needed value.
Yes. That sounds right to me.

Thanks, you have helped me a lot :)

RoloJosh16 said:
Thanks, you have helped me a lot :)
You're welcome. I didn't do much. You did all the work! :smile:

Related to Mechanics problem in a non-inertial system

1. What is a non-inertial system in mechanics?

A non-inertial system in mechanics is a reference frame that is not at rest or moving at a constant velocity. In this system, objects appear to experience fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force or Coriolis force, due to the acceleration of the reference frame.

2. How does a non-inertial system affect the analysis of mechanics problems?

In a non-inertial system, the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion may not be valid. Fictitious forces must be taken into account in order to accurately describe the motion of objects in the system.

3. What is the difference between inertial and non-inertial frames of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is one in which Newton's laws of motion hold true, and there are no fictitious forces present. A non-inertial frame of reference is one in which fictitious forces are present due to the acceleration of the frame.

4. How do you identify a non-inertial system in a mechanics problem?

A non-inertial system can be identified by observing if the reference frame is accelerating or rotating. If it is, then fictitious forces will need to be considered in the analysis of the problem.

5. What are some common examples of non-inertial systems in mechanics?

Some common examples of non-inertial systems in mechanics include a rotating carousel, a car making a turn, or a rollercoaster. These systems experience acceleration or rotation, resulting in the appearance of fictitious forces on objects within the system.