Mechanics: Moments of force in a rigid beam

In summary, the problem involves a rigid beam loaded by five forces, where forces A and B keep the total force on the bar equal to zero and the sum of the moments about point A equal to zero. To solve for the forces at A and B, the magnitude of FB is calculated using the sum of moments about point A. It is determined that FB must point in the negative x-direction for the beam to remain stable.
JohanM

Homework Statement

Consider the rigid beam below, which is loaded by five forces shown. The forces at A and B act to keep the total force on the bar equal to zero and the sum of the moments about point A equal to zero.
a) Find the forces at A and B that satisfy the conditions stated above.
b) Find the sum of the moments about point B.
2ylp4k1.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I figured that I can calculate the magnitude of FB by adding all of the moments about point A and separating |Fb|

Force C: creates 0 moment about point A since its direction is towards A (theta=180)

Force D:

[itex]\vec{r} = \left\langle 1000,-200 \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F} = \langle 25 cos(20^\circ), 25 sin(20^\circ) \rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}=\left| \begin{array}{ccc}\hat{i}&\hat{j}\\1000&-200 \\ 25 cos(20^\circ)&25 sin(20^\circ) \end{array} \right| \approx 3852.04 \hat{k}[/itex]

Force B:

[itex]\vec{r} = \left\langle 1000,-650 \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F} = \langle |\vec{F_{B}}|, 0 \rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}=\left| \begin{array}{ccc}\hat{i}&\hat{j}\\1000&-650 \\ |\vec{F_{B}}|&0\end{array} \right| = 650 |\vec{F_{B}}| \hat{k}[/itex]

[itex]\sum \vec{M}=O\hat{k}+3852.04...\hat{k}+650|\vec{F_{B}}|\hat{k}=0[/itex]

[itex]|\vec{F_{B}}| \approx -5.92[/itex]

Before I go any further I just want to make sure that I am approaching this correctly... Does it make sense that FB points in the negative x-direction?

Thanks,
Johan

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think so, if the drawing is roughly to scale the 25kN force tends to rotate the beam counter clockwise therefore for the beam not to move the force at B must tend to rotate the beam clockwise and can only do so if the force at B acts to the left.

Related to Mechanics: Moments of force in a rigid beam

1. What is a moment of force in a rigid beam?

A moment of force in a rigid beam, also known as a torque, is a measure of the turning effect of a force on a rigid object. It is the product of the force applied and the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. How is the moment of force calculated?

The moment of force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. The unit of measurement for moment of force is newton-meters (Nm).

3. What is the importance of moments of force in a rigid beam?

Moments of force in a rigid beam are important in understanding the stability and balance of structures. They are also crucial in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as bridges and cranes, to ensure they can withstand external forces and remain in equilibrium.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the moment of force?

The direction of the force is important in calculating the moment of force because it determines the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. If the force is not perpendicular to the beam, the perpendicular distance must be calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. Can the moment of force be negative?

Yes, the moment of force can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force is in the opposite direction of the positive direction used for calculations. Negative moments of force can also be referred to as clockwise moments, while positive moments are counterclockwise.