Mechanics - moment, Euler's second law

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving deriving differential equations for a mechanical system and simulating it in matlab. The problem involves a ring, a half-circle, and a pole, and the goal is to carefully select the moment points for Euler II to avoid needing to use unknown forces in Euler I. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and a request for help.
bjornebarn

Homework Statement

Hello! :)
I got stuck on a problem I got for my physics class, where I am supposed to derive the differential equations for a mechanical system (x'' =, θ'' =, and φ'' =) , and then simulate how the system behaves in matlab.

Here is a picture: http://forumbilder.se/show.aspx?iid=c72201260720P7323

As you can see, there is a ring, which can roll on the ground. The ring has mass m1, radius R and center of mass G1.
Inside the ring is a half-circle, that can move frictionlessly inside the ring. It has a mass m2, radius R and center of mass G2.
At the center of mass G2 a pole is articulated, so it can move freely relative to the half-sphere. It has a uniform mass m3 and length l.

The hint for the problem is to be careful in selecting the moment points for Euler II, so that no unknown forces will have to be derived using Euler I (F=ma).

Homework Equations

Euler II:
M = I*α + rxma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have finished the kinematical analysis, and it should be correct.

First I try to calculate the moment for the pole, around the point G2, using Euler II:

G2: -m3 * g * l/2 * sin(φ) = I_G3 * φ'' + (-l/2 * sin(φ) x^ + l/2 * cos(φ) y^) x (-m3*g y^)
<=> φ'' = -(m3 * g * l * sin(φ)) / I_G3

Unsure from here:
The problem I have are for the systems half-circle + pipe, and for the whole system. I am also not quite sure how the pipe will affect the half-sphere, so I named the force ξ, to deal with it later. Here is my attempt though, for the half-circle + pipe:

G1: -(m2*g + ξ)*d*sin(θ) = I_G2 * θ'' + (d*sin(θ) x^ - d*cos(θ) y^) x m*(a_G2x x^ + a_G2y y^)

Here a_G2x and a_G2y are from the kinematical analysis, the acceleration for G2 in x and y respectively.

Lastly, I try the same for the whole system, around the moment point M, which I put where the ring is in contact with the ground:

M: -(m2*g + ξ)*d*sin(θ) = something + (d*sin(θ) x^ + (R-d)*cos(θ) y^) x m*(a_G2x x^ + a_G2y y^)

So, this is how far I get... I am very grateful for any help that you can give me! :=)
You don't need to give me the answer, as long as I am sure I have the correct moment equations, I should be able to derive the differential equations.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No one? :(

Related to Mechanics - moment, Euler's second law

What is a moment in Mechanics?

A moment in mechanics refers to the measure of a force's tendency to cause a body to rotate around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis.

What is Euler's second law in Mechanics?

Euler's second law, also known as the angular acceleration law, states that the angular acceleration of a rotating body is directly proportional to the net torque acting on the body and inversely proportional to its moment of inertia. This law is commonly used to analyze the motion of rotating objects.

How is moment different from torque in Mechanics?

Moment and torque are closely related but not exactly the same. Both refer to the rotational effect of a force, but moment is a scalar quantity that measures the magnitude of the rotational force, while torque is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of the rotational force.

What are some real-life applications of Euler's second law?

Euler's second law has many practical applications, such as in designing vehicles, machines, and other mechanical systems. It is used to calculate the angular acceleration of rotating parts in engines, motors, and turbines, and to analyze the stability and control of aircraft and spacecraft.

How can I apply Euler's second law in my own experiments?

You can apply Euler's second law in your experiments by using a force sensor to measure the force applied to a rotating object and a rotary motion sensor to measure its angular acceleration. You can then use these values to calculate the moment of inertia of the object and verify Euler's second law.