Mechanics. Circular motion and rotation

In summary, a pilot in an aeroplane performing a vertical loop at a speed of 40 m/s with a radius of 200 m and a mass of 80 kg experiences a tension of 160 N in the strap holding him into his seat at the top of the loop. This is calculated using the formula F = ma, where a is equal to the centripetal acceleration, and taking into account the force of gravity. In another scenario, a particle with a mass of 0.30 kg moving at an angular velocity of 10 rad/s in a horizontal circle 20 cm inside a smooth hemispherical bowl experiences a reaction force of 6.7 N from the bowl, with a radius of 22 cm.
moenste

Homework Statement

An aeroplane loops the loop in a vertical circle of radius 200 m, with a speed of 40 m s^-1 at the top of the loop. The pilot has a mass of 80 kg. What is the tention in the strap holding him into his seat when he is at the top of the loop?

Answer: 160 N.

Homework Equations

A-Level Physics, chapter 6 formulas:
w = Angle / t
T = 2Pi / w
v = wr
a = w^2 * r
a = v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 200 m
v / u ? = 40 m s^-1
m = 80 kg

Attempt 1. 1/2 mv^2 = mgr -> 64 000 = 160 000. Wrong.
Attempt 2. F = ma -> a = w^2 * r -> v = wr -> 40 = w*200 -> w = 0.2 rad s -> a = 0.2^2 * 200 = 8 -> F = 80*8 = 640 N. Wrong.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to include units. Attempt two is close, you ignored gravity. You could have got there faster using your last relevant equation.

Likes moenste
billy_joule said:
You need to include units. Attempt two is close, you ignored gravity. You could have got there faster using your last relevant equation.
You are right indeed about a = v^2 / r, thank you.

So F = ma - mg = 640 - 80*10 (for simplicity reasons) = -160 N ?
or F = mg - ma = 800 - 640 = 160 N. Does fit the book answer but why mg first? Maybe a silly question, but still.

And by units you mean F = ma = 80 kg * 8 m s^1 instead of 80*8?

Units: yes, makes it easier to understand your work, and many markers will subtract marks for missing units.

The question asks for tension, which is always positive.

Likes moenste
Not sure where to post a second question, I think I'll better ask it here.

1. Homework Statement

A particle of mass 0.30 kg moves with an angular velocity of 10 rad s^1 in a horizontal circle 20 cm inside a smooth hemispherical bowl. FInd the reaction of the bowl on the particle and the radius of the bowl.

Answer: 6.7 N, 22 cm

Homework Equations

R sin angle = mv^2 / r
R cos angle = mg
tan angle = v^2 / gr
F sin angle = mv^2 / r
F cos angle = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/circular-motion-particle-in-a-bowl.252962/
I am a bit lost because in this link with a wrong (according to the book the answer is 6.7 N) 6 N answer Thanuka got 22.3 cm, a relatively correct answer... And how to get the 6.7 N answer as in the book?

moenste said:
this link with a wrong (according to the book the answer is 6.7 N) 6 N answer
The 6N at that link is for the centripetal force, which is only the horizontal component of the reaction. The 6.7 N is the entire reaction.

[It is generally preferred that you start a new thread for each problem.]

Likes moenste
haruspex said:
The 6N at that link is for the centripetal force, which is only the horizontal component of the reaction. The 6.7 N is the entire reaction.

[It is generally preferred that you start a new thread for each problem.]
Thank you. But in that case horizontal F = m(w^2)*r = 0.3 kg * 10^2 rads^-1 * 0.2 m = 6 N. And vertical F = mg = 0.3 kg * 10 (simplified g) = 3 N. In that case 6 N + 3 N = 9 N and not 6.7 N. Could you elaborate a bit on how to get 6.7 N? The bowl is smooth so I consider the only vertical force is gravity (F=mg).

UPD: and for the second part I don't quite understand why it is
Rcos theta= 6N as centripetal force is 6N
Rsin theta = 3N as mass of the particle is 0.3kg

and not R sin = 6 N for hor and R cos = 3 N for ver. Everywhere in the book the horizontal is sin and vertical is cos. Plus the angle which is created by the normal reaction also shows the same.

Last edited:
This give you an idea ?

Add_vecs.jpg

Did you make your own drawing already (to see what's this sine and cosine business) ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
This give you an idea ?

Did you make your own drawing already (to see what's this sine and cosine business) ?
I actually made a same drawing though instead of 3 N and 6 N I had R cos angle and R sin angle. Now I get the second part: cos angle = 6 N / R -> R cos angle = 6 N and sin angle = 3 N / R -> R sin angle = 3 N.

But I still don't quite understand how to get the 6.7 N answer from the book for the first part.

Try finding how much ?? is ...

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Try finding how much ?? is ...
R = 3 / sin angle
R = 6 / cos angle

3/sin angle = 6/cos angle
3 cos angle = 6 sin angle
cos angle = 2 sin angle

?

Are you telling me you have difficulty calculating the hypothenuse of a triangle with short sides 6 and 3 ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Are you telling me you have difficulty calculating the hypothenuse of a triangle with short sides 6 and 3 ?
3^2+6^2 = 45, root 45 = 6.7 N... I really was looking for something complicated and totally forgot the basics. Thanks a lot!

Related to Mechanics. Circular motion and rotation

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is movement in a circular path around a fixed point, also known as the center of rotation. An object in circular motion experiences a constant change in direction, but maintains a constant speed.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of rotation and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How is circular motion related to rotation?

Circular motion and rotation are closely related, as circular motion is a type of rotational motion around a fixed axis. In circular motion, the object's distance from the center of rotation remains constant, while in rotational motion, the object's orientation changes as it rotates around an axis.

4. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves around a circle at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion involves a change in speed or direction. In non-uniform circular motion, the object's velocity is not constant, and there is an acceleration towards the center of rotation.

5. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, while linear velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.