Mechanical Waves: Understanding Force & Motion

In summary, mechanical waves can be of different types and do not always require physical motion of the harmonic oscillators to propagate. The force can still spread through the medium, even if the motion of the oscillators is hindered. After passing through an obstacle, the physical motion of the wave will resume. This is illustrated in the picture provided, where the wave is able to pass through the obstacles and continue its motion. The explanation for this phenomenon lies in the fact that the force travels through the medium by affecting the atoms and molecules of the oscillators, even when their physical motion is temporarily stopped. Therefore, it is possible for mechanical waves to travel through an obstacle and resume their motion afterwards.
Craig113
This is a question about mechanical waves. As i understand it, there can be many different types of mechanical waves, but its is not allways necessary to actually make a physically motion of one harmonic oscillator (a particle, or a part of the medium that the mechanic waves travels throw) to start or hinder a mechanical wave. The force spreads throw the medium even if the physical motion of the harmonic oscillators is somehow hinderd. And the physical motion of the mechanical wave will come back once the obstacle have been passed. Let my me try to further explain what i mean with a picture
!-----! -> this is the wave moving in the direction of the arrow
___! !______0000000000________ the zeros 000 are obstacles

!----- -! -> this is what will happen
___0000000__ __! !______

Am i right? And why does this happen? Is it because the force or power traveling throw the medium treavels between the atoms and molecules of the harmonic oscillators once the actuall motion of the oscillators in not possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on, answer please. If you don't understand what i mean with the question, don't hesitate to ask me to be more precise! The question is again: Can a mechanical wave travel through some kind of physical abstacle that temporerly stops the physical movment of the wave to resume its motion again after it has passed through that abstacle?

I think the ansewer to that question is yes. It it couldn't it wouldn't be possible for smal mechanical waves to pass eatch other without chaning apperance. I also want to know exacly how this happens. How can power or force travel through the medium when the harmonic oscillators are unable to move? Does it travel through the medium by affecting the atoms and the molecules of the oscillator that then affect eatch other? I am wainting anxiously for your response.
Best regards.

I can confirm that your understanding of mechanical waves is correct. Mechanical waves do not necessarily require physical motion of the harmonic oscillators to propagate through a medium. The force or power of the wave is able to travel through the medium, even if the physical motion of the oscillators is hindered. This is because the force is able to transfer between the atoms and molecules of the medium, allowing the wave to continue moving.

This phenomenon is known as wave propagation and is a fundamental concept in the study of mechanical waves. It is caused by the transfer of energy from one particle to another in the medium, without the particles themselves moving significantly. This is why the wave is able to continue moving even if there are obstacles in its path.

The exact mechanism of wave propagation may vary depending on the type of mechanical wave, but the underlying principle remains the same. Understanding wave propagation is crucial in understanding how mechanical waves behave and interact with their surroundings. I hope this helps to further clarify your understanding of mechanical waves and their relationship with force and motion.

Related to Mechanical Waves: Understanding Force & Motion

What are mechanical waves?

Mechanical waves are a type of wave that require a medium to propagate. This means that they need a material, such as air, water, or a solid, to travel through. Examples of mechanical waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves.

How are mechanical waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, whereas electromagnetic waves do not. Electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, mechanical waves transfer energy through the motion of particles in the medium, while electromagnetic waves transfer energy through changes in electric and magnetic fields.

What is the relationship between force and mechanical waves?

Force is required to create a mechanical wave. When an object is disturbed or moves, it creates a disturbance in the medium, which then travels as a wave. This disturbance is caused by a force acting on the object.

How do mechanical waves transfer energy?

Mechanical waves transfer energy through the motion of particles in the medium. As the wave travels, the particles vibrate or oscillate, transferring energy from one particle to the next. The more energy the wave carries, the larger the amplitude of the particles' motion.

What are some real-life applications of mechanical waves?

Mechanical waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, sound waves are used in communication and music, water waves are used in surfing and generating electricity, and seismic waves are used to study earthquakes and locate oil and gas deposits. Additionally, ultrasound waves are used in medical imaging and sonar technology uses sound waves to navigate and map underwater environments.